What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad vs laptop

timmy toad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there fellas, i have the best of both worlds, i have a Mac Book Pro and i got the missus an iPad2, quite the best combination, it is the only way i could get the missus interested in the Internet or even using anything to do with IT at all.

She has has all her family photos to drool over now, going back to, almost, the beginning of the last century.

She simply loves MAPS street view, been all over the world with it.

However i may have got her going off in the wrong direction by getting her the iPad app RIGHTMOVE, ok if you wanna move, I DONT !.

tim

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many people become frustrated at iPads capability because they fail to realize the following:

* iPad is not a replacement for laptop - it is bridge between smartphone and laptop/netbook
* iPad is primarily content cosumption device and not good at content creation
* On screen keyboard is for minimal typing, you need a proper keyboard for serious typing.
* Lack of user file management is a problem
* iPad apps (even paid ones) are no match to their desktop counterparts. Even free Windows/Linux apps are far more capable than best (paid) iPad apps.
* iPad is for "looking cool" rather than workhorse (that's what the laptops are for)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are still many uses for my laptop. It's a powerful beast, and I video edit, manipulate photos etc. On it. The iPad is just so much nicer to use. But it won't replace my lappy, just compliments it!

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there fellas, i have the best of both worlds, i have a Mac Book Pro and i got the missus an iPad2, quite the best combination, it is the only way i could get the missus interested in the Internet or even using anything to do with IT at all.

She has has all her family photos to drool over now, going back to, almost, the beginning of the last century.

However i may have got her going off in the wrong direction by getting her the iPad app RIGHTMOVE, ok if you wanna move, I DONT !.

tim

Cute post, Tim! Looks as though you've created a monster!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
timmy toad said:

tim

mansion by the beach?

icouldsave.co.uk - help save money and the planet!

beary7823

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've iPad 2 and MacBook Pro. MacBook is for home use, while iPad is for on the go :) both are as good :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I had the choice of only one, it would be my MBP or a MBA for the simple reason that I need a full computer. However, I look at the iPad as an extension of my other computers. Think of how many motorhomes will have a car in tow. You do not want to try to live in a small car, but a motorhome is not practical to go to the store or drive thru in. Some people have a house (desktop), and some have all three variants.

vlg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
macbook air

getting rid of my air to just use the ipad2.
any drawbacks you guys think?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you have access to a computer, it is an individual thing to prefer an iPad or a laptop. The iPad will not work exclusively of a computer, but in so many ways, it gives new freedom from the computer. Right now the only issue with the iPad, is the inability to get a 10" sceen in a form smaller than an iPhone.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mark II said:
I have used both an iPad and Asus laptop to take notes and while the iPad has its novel features, true note taking is best acomplished with a laptop. I've tried playing with office documents but it just doens't feel right... being able to work with documents off a flash drive is also an issue... I love to use all three devices which tends to get a laugh but work quite well. iPhone running "Recorder Pro", Laptop to type notes, iPad to draw any neccessary diagrams or pull up .pdf of the textbook. If you could only have a laptop or iPad? I'd have to say laptop :eek:

As much as I love my iPad, as a writer I find a pencil and paper the best thing for taking notes.

Here we go again, from someone who does not get the concept of a tablet to another who prefers pencil and paper. I would guess the next topic might be " I have fallen with my typewriter and can't get up"
People please , tablets are not laptops , quit adding key boards, speakers and monitors to them . As far as pencil and paper theory , well we must all change.

jackmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got an idea so i write a blog post about after reading user discussion. ;)

Comments are welcome. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
Here we go again, from someone who does not get the concept of a tablet to another who prefers pencil and paper. I would guess the next topic might be " I have fallen with my typewriter and can't get up"
People please , tablets are not laptops , quit adding key boards, speakers and monitors to them . As far as pencil and paper theory , well we must all change.

Here Here! A keyboard with my iPad? No thanks....it's not a laptop, I have a laptop! Only accessories I have purchased apart from case are music related, and work in conjunction with apps

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts