What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad to Windows 7

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's simply not possible for anyone to connect an iPad to the Internet through the dock connector.

Great. It sounds like you are more knowledgable about such things than I. I am happy to take your word for it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChuckR said:
Is it possible to download the free apps mentioned to the PC and from there to the IPAD through the docking USB?
If I plug the IPAD into the Cadillac USB port, will it connect to the internet through ONSTAR?
In Fact will proximity to ONSTAR in the car allow it to connect to the internet?

Sorry, no. It's simply not possible to connect an iPad to the Internet in the manner you propose. Read this link for more info.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we just stick to the subject on this thread, please?

While there MAY be different ways of doing things, we are responding to someone who is brand new to iDevices. Lets try to keep it simple.

To answer the Onstar question, I'm not sure, but I doubt it. If your iPad is wifi only, one way of getting Internet on the move is to tether it to a smartphone. Some carriers allow this, others don't and some allow it but charge a fee. If you have a 3G iPad, you can get a data plan which will put you online independently of any other hardware.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I plug the IPAD into the Cadillac USB port, will it connect to the internet through ONSTAR?

See the earlier posts where we advise that it is not possible to get the internet through the USB cable.

As KevinJS advises, besides wifi, some iPads (those with capability built in) can get internet through a cellular connection. It sounds as if you don't have this capability. If not, you are stuck with wifi. You can get wifi at your house with the correct router. Perhaps you have a friend with wifi? You can get it at starbucks. You can get wifi at McDonalds, Wendys, and Panera. Some cell phones can act as a wifi hotspot to which your iPad can connect. For a price, most cell phone companies are happy to provide mobile hotspots (Verizon calls them jetpacks, I think). Some cars now come with wifi built in (perhaps your Cadillac is one).

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChuckR said:
I asked if the PC could be used as an intermediate location

You can download apps from iTunes to your PC and transfer them through iTunes to your computer. If Onstar can provide a WiFi hotspot, your iPad could detect this and connect to the Internet that way. ( I don't know if this s even possible). Otherwise, the methods suggested by KevinJS should work.

OP
C

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all the information so far. Keep it coming as YES I AM AN APPLE NEWBE. I will look into the Cadillac and see if it supports WIFI.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I asked if the PC could be used as an intermediate location

You also had the question about connecting to the internet through ONSTAR. I believe it is that question that scifan was answering.

In case this point is lost, you can indeed download apps from a PC to iPad through USB cable. Just to be clear, however, that is not the same (in my mind) as saying that your iPad is connected to the internet.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
YES I AM AN APPLE NEWBE

The big point to understand as an apple newbe is that iPads don't work like laptops or desktops with regards to file management. IPads are app-centric. With few exceptions, you cannot access your data files directly. You cannot share a single file between multiple apps. You cannot drag-and-drop files. With the exception of photos and possible videos, you cannot share files by plugging in USB drives or memory cards. Just be aware that things are a bit different in the world of iPad.

Also, there is no way to connect an ethernet cable to your iPad to gain internet access. And unlike laptops, you cannot get internet access through USB cable.

Wifi, however, works on an iPad as it works on any other wifi-enabled device.

OP
C

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You also had the question about connecting to the internet through ONSTAR. I believe it is that question that scifan was answering.

In case this point is lost, you can indeed download apps from a PC to iPad through USB cable. Just to be clear, however, that is not the same (in my mind) as saying that your iPad is connected to the internet.
I agree and understand the difference. Thanks

OP
C

ChuckR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The big point to understand as an apple newbe is that iPads don't work like laptops or desktops with regards to file management. IPads are app-centric. With few exceptions, you cannot access your data files directly. You cannot share a single file between multiple apps. You cannot drag-and-drop files. With the exception of photos and possible videos, you cannot share files by plugging in USB drives or memory cards. Just be aware that things are a bit different in the world of iPad.

Also, there is no way to connect an ethernet cable to your iPad to gain internet access. And unlike laptops, you cannot get internet access through USB cable.
Wifi, however, works on an iPad as it works on any other wifi-enabled device.

With the limitations, What is the LOVE of the IPAD based on? It seems very limited and with the need for passwords it seems un-secure.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChuckR said:
With the limitations, What is the LOVE of the IPAD based on? It seems very limited and with the need for passwords it seems un-secure.

The iPads portability is one of the main points in its favour. A battery that can last more than twice as long as many laptops is another important feature.

A password protected iPad is one of the most secure computing devices you can buy. A thief who steals your iPad is not going to gain access to your information if he doesn't know your password.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a review of the autonet system that should be available in your Cadillac. Looks like the tech is a couple of years old so it might be pretty useful by now.

On the road with Autonet in-car Wi-Fi | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Love? That's a strong word. A lot of us on this forum have been tapping away on these things for a couple of years now. So long as you understand their limitations, they can be very useful, but at the end of it, they are a tool. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your Cadillac, but would you profess to love it? Doubtful, although as a Neon driver, perhaps I can't see the appeal a decent car might offer.

With the right apps, and a sound knowledge of what these things can do, and just as importantly what they cannot do, you might find it creeping into your life in ways that you never considered.

For example, if I want to read the news, I would once have bought a newspaper rather than read it on a computer screen. I'm happy to use the iPad for reading. The experience feels somehow more natural. Having instant access to information is a big plus too. No waiting around. Grab the iPad, Google and go.

They make great babysitters too. They keep a gang of 9-year-olds quiet for hours.

Most reactions

Latest posts