What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad stuck in DFU mode, won't restore, itunes 4014 error

rueshir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was working well till the recent update 10.3.3 came out and I decided to update it. It failed to update and said an error occurred after that it started acting funny and wouldn't connect to the Wifi even after I entered the correct password. So I decided to restart it and try updating again, it turned off and never turned back on I tried to hard reset it and it's not responding it's just stuck in DFU mode unresponsive. I tried to restore it because that's the only option iTunes is giving me, and iTunes goes through extraction of the software, preparing iPad for restoring, waiting for iPad, then the iPad briefly turns on to show the Apple logo for 5 seconds but before it boots up it turns off again and iTunes gives me the 4014 error. It can't be a faulty cable because the iPad is a month old and I am using the iPad's official cable. I updated my iTunes to 12.6.2.20 and my Windows is updated to the latest software, USB drivers are updated too. I dunno what else to do I tried literally everything . I tried to charge it and it's not even showing the charging screen either. Pressing both the Power and Home buttons to try get it out of DFU isn't working, it's just staying unresponsive. Please help I am at my wit's end.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As your iPad is so new it will be covered by Apple's warranty. You can take it to any Apple Store or, of course, the original seller.

OP
R

rueshir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As your iPad is so new it will be covered by Apple's warranty. You can take it to any Apple Store or, of course, the original seller.
Unfortunately I'm currently nowhere near an Apple Store :( and I won't be till maybe September

OP
R

rueshir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 4014 generally means there's a hardware problem. It could be the computer, cable or your iPad.
Is there anything I can do about it? What exactly could be the hardware problem?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do about it? What exactly could be the hardware problem?
There’s no way to tell without a full diagnostic. Since you’re too far from an Apple store, are there any Apple authorized service centres near you?

Last edited:
OP
R

rueshir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There’s no way to tell without a full diagnostic. Since you’re too far from an Apple store, are there any Apple authorized service centres near you?
No not even close, so my best bet is only to wait till I can access an Apple Store? :( I checked the iPad's reports and the last line for error says this:

[22:24:50.0309] Failure Description:
[22:24:50.0309] Depth:0 Code:4014 Error:Unexpected device state 'DFU' expected 'RestoreOS'
[22:24:50.0309] Transitioning device returned, continuing restore.
[22:24:50.0309] Canceling timer
[22:24:50.0309] Changing state from 'Transitioning' to 'Restoring'
[22:24:50.0309] State Machine Dump, status:ERROR - [state:DFU remaining-cycles:0] -> [state:Recovery remaining-cycles:0] -> [state:RestoreOS remaining-cycles:1 (current state)]
[22:24:50.0309] Unexpected device state 'DFU' expected 'RestoreOS'
[22:24:50.0309] Changing state from 'Restoring' to 'Error'
[22:24:50.0309] State is now set to error

I can't make sense of it, all I did was try update it and it died on me just like that :(

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I would wait until you can go to the Apple Store. If it is faulty, they will be able to replace it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have AppleCare+, there is the Express replacement service. Call Apple and explain the problem. Ask if they want the error log in your post. If Apple approves the replacement they’ll mail you a replacement iPad and the packaging to return the defective unit at no cost to you. A temporary hold will be placed on your credit card to cover the cost of the replacement iPad. This hold is cancelled when they receive the returned iPad. iPad Express Replacement - Apple Support

OP
R

rueshir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have AppleCare+, there is the Express replacement service. Call Apple and explain the problem. Ask if they want the error log in your post. If Apple approves the replacement they’ll mail you a replacement iPad and the packaging to return the defective unit at no cost to you. A temporary hold will be placed on your credit card to cover the cost of the replacement iPad. This hold is cancelled when they receive the returned iPad. iPad Express Replacement - Apple Support
No I don't have AppleCare but I think I know what's the problem. You said it could be my laptop so I noticed when I plugged my iPhone iTunes started getting glitchy and freezing up so I reckon that the new iTunes version doesn't exactly go well with my Windows laptop? I uninstalled it and reinstalled a new download of iTunes and the installer gave me grief it kept saying there was an error installing iTunes. I don't know why I never had a problem installing iTunes till now :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No I don't have AppleCare but I think I know what's the problem. You said it could be my laptop so I noticed when I plugged my iPhone iTunes started getting glitchy and freezing up so I reckon that the new iTunes version doesn't exactly go well with my Windows laptop? I uninstalled it and reinstalled a new download of iTunes and the installer gave me grief it kept saying there was an error installing iTunes. I don't know why I never had a problem installing iTunes till now :(
Which version of Windows is on your computer? The latest version of iTunes will run on Windows 7 and later. BTW, have you tried turning off your firewall and anti virus before trying to install iTunes on your computer?

Abbyacb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can not open your iTunes normally, it might due to the firewall and antivirus program, which will prevent iTunes from connecting to Apple servers or to devices. Maybe you can try to restore or upgrade the IPSW on your laptop. In addition, you can try to restore your iPad on another PC, maybe things will be better. Hope you can find the way to get your iPad out of recovery mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts