iPad stuck in DFU mode, won't restore, itunes 4014 error

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by rueshir, Aug 3, 2017.

1. rueshir

rueshir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My iPad was working well till the recent update 10.3.3 came out and I decided to update it. It failed to update and said an error occurred after that it started acting funny and wouldn't connect to the Wifi even after I entered the correct password. So I decided to restart it and try updating again, it turned off and never turned back on I tried to hard reset it and it's not responding it's just stuck in DFU mode unresponsive. I tried to restore it because that's the only option iTunes is giving me, and iTunes goes through extraction of the software, preparing iPad for restoring, waiting for iPad, then the iPad briefly turns on to show the Apple logo for 5 seconds but before it boots up it turns off again and iTunes gives me the 4014 error. It can't be a faulty cable because the iPad is a month old and I am using the iPad's official cable. I updated my iTunes to 12.6.2.20 and my Windows is updated to the latest software, USB drivers are updated too. I dunno what else to do I tried literally everything . I tried to charge it and it's not even showing the charging screen either. Pressing both the Power and Home buttons to try get it out of DFU isn't working, it's just staying unresponsive. Please help I am at my wit's end.

2. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    As your iPad is so new it will be covered by Apple's warranty. You can take it to any Apple Store or, of course, the original seller.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Error 4014 generally means there's a hardware problem. It could be the computer, cable or your iPad.

4. rueshir

rueshir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately I'm currently nowhere near an Apple Store :( and I won't be till maybe September

5. rueshir

rueshir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything I can do about it? What exactly could be the hardware problem?

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Apple has mail in service.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There’s no way to tell without a full diagnostic. Since you’re too far from an Apple store, are there any Apple authorized service centres near you?

#7 scifan57, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rueshir

rueshir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No not even close, so my best bet is only to wait till I can access an Apple Store? :( I checked the iPad's reports and the last line for error says this:

[22:24:50.0309] Failure Description:
    [22:24:50.0309] Depth:0 Code:4014 Error:Unexpected device state 'DFU' expected 'RestoreOS'
    [22:24:50.0309] Transitioning device returned, continuing restore.
    [22:24:50.0309] Canceling timer
    [22:24:50.0309] Changing state from 'Transitioning' to 'Restoring'
    [22:24:50.0309] State Machine Dump, status:ERROR - [state:DFU remaining-cycles:0] -> [state:Recovery remaining-cycles:0] -> [state:RestoreOS remaining-cycles:1 (current state)]
    [22:24:50.0309] Unexpected device state 'DFU' expected 'RestoreOS'
    [22:24:50.0309] Changing state from 'Restoring' to 'Error'
    [22:24:50.0309] State is now set to error

I can't make sense of it, all I did was try update it and it died on me just like that :(

9. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I would wait until you can go to the Apple Store. If it is faulty, they will be able to replace it.

10. rueshir

rueshir
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes I suppose I'll have to :(, thanks for the input though