What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Setup Nightmare

Artville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Earlier this year i bought an iMac.

After struggling unsuccessfully for days, I took the thing to PC World who were able to install Windows 7, transfer the data files from my Dell 1821 Inspiron laptop, and get the iMac running successfully. This set me back 130 GBP.

I have just got an iPad, and am having the same kind of problem - Sorry, Bill, I knew i shouldn't have abandoned my PC!

When I attempt setup, I get a black screen with the word iPad in the middle of the screen and, at the bottom, a slot with a white arrow and the word "configure" which changes from one language to another. I slide the arrow left to right. This takes me to a screen headed up Wi-Fi with the following display:

Seleccione una red...
SKY59162

and other stuff in Spanish

At the top right of the screen, in a small blue panel, is the word "siguiente"

Below the Seleccione... bit is a blue panel showing four options. Everything is in Spanish, so I can't get anywhere with the setup.

I've searched in vain on the web, but none of the suggested solutions start from my opening screen

Would one of you many smart guys out there tell me how I can find a way round this

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The first screen when setting up the iPad should offer the ability to choose your language. A step or two latter it should have you join a wi-fi network. The initialization can not proceed further without a wi-fi (and internet) connection.

If it is stuck somewhere in the middle you may have to connect it to the computer (with the latest version of iTunes installed) and restore it. That will take it back to the starting point.

If this is not what is happening/working, then I recommend you visit an Apple Store. Get a Genius appointment first if you want to be sure avoid waiting. It is always possible you have a hardware problem. It i not common, but like any electronics device, it happens.

Since you are in the UK, I'm kind of assuming there is an Apple Store within reasonable (a highly subjective term, I know) distance. If not, you have 90 days of free tech support with your new iPad purchase. The number should be in the box somewhere.

I'm sorry for your iMac problems. Was it because you could not adjust or get used to OS X, or were you having real problems with the computer? It is possible to install both and boot into both using BootStrap, if you ever want to go back and give it another try.

Something else the Genius Bar at the Apple Store may be able to help you with.

If nothing else, you get better iOS integration with OS X.

OP
A

Artville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, for taking time out from your holiday to look at my problem.

The first (home) screen is where the problem starts. I've never seen it, so I've not had an opportunity to change the language.

I can get to the WiFi setup screen, but, because of the language problem, I can't figure out what to do. Connecting to the iMac (which is working fine now) and updating iTunes doesn't help.
either.

There is an Apple Store about twenty miles down the motorway, so I think your suggestion that I arrange to talk to someone there is my best bet.

Thanks again, and enjoy the rst of your holiday break.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wish I had an Apple Store that close. My closest is 2.5 hours away, and I only saw it pop up in my search results a year ago. Before that I was more than 5 hours to the nearest store. Not that I've had any real need to visit one in the last several years (crosses fingers). ;)

Good luck, and please let us know how things go with the visit and after.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And the reason I didn't have Apple products in Colorado. Had to drive over the mountains 3-1/2 hours to Denver or 6 hours to Salt Lake City to find one of their stores. Now I am 30 miles from one - just a short hop.

mcmannis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only got a little farther In the setup process before hitting a problem. I'm at the screen that says Birthday. No matter where I touch, the machine will not respond and send me to the next screen where I can enter birthday. Who can help me?

Most reactions

Latest posts