What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Screen Display Faulty

nick5648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad 2 for my partner and one for me a couple of months ago. My partners has just developed an intermittent screen problem! When she opens the cover to use it the screen is sometimes really dark and the icons are barely visible and flickering? Switching it off and on again sometimes clears it - but not always!

No problems with mine so far! Both were purchased from John Lewis. I have the receipts but not the packaging (it was put into the recycling bin two weeks after purchase......)

I can't find any other's with similar problems......?
I could do with a quick fix or reset rather than return it to John Lewis......

Nick

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--Welcome to the Forum.

Have you tried to restart your partner's ipad since purchasing the device? Give that a try--sometimes a restart works the kinks out of it.

Restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

OP
N

nick5648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there--Welcome to the Forum.

Have you tried to restart your partner's ipad since purchasing the device? Give that a try--sometimes a restart works the kinks out of it.

Restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I have powered off and on again. It worked a few days ago......but today the screen is as dark after powering back up.....!!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you do a screen shot of what is happening--so others can see and help out?

Screen shot: Press and hold the power switch and home button.

Also, can you disable the smartcover so it doesn't turn on your ipad when you flip the cover open? See if just by pressing the home button to switch it on helps any?

OP
N

nick5648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Can you do a screen shot of what is happening--so others can see and help out?

Screen shot: Press and hold the power switch and home button.

Also, can you disable the smartcover so it doesn't turn on your ipad when you flip the cover open? See if just by pressing the home button to switch it on helps any?

Ok, I have played a bit more and I am now 90% certain it is a brightness issue. I cranked up the brightness in settings and the iPad is now usable......just. I disabled 'auto brightness' to see if that was the bug?

I switched back on and the 'flickering' has returned.....the lower half of the screen flickers as though there is some 'radio interference' or something ....... There isn't - my iPad is right next to it and it's working 100% fine (not wanting to tempt fate...)

I tried the screenshot and then messaged it over to my iPad....the 'faulty' iPad is 'functioning' fine....the screenshot came through completely normal...!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I believe after reading your last post...it's now working fine of not?

Have you taken the iPad to Apple store? You may want to make an appointment with a Genius to have them see it.

OP
N

nick5648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything has been ok with my missus 'faulty' iPad for a week now.......she thinks the problem happened because I put my iPad next to hers?? Could this be true? Do iPads not like being stored on top of one another? Some sort of interference?

Dickie61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have played a bit more and I am now 90% certain it is a brightness issue. I cranked up the brightness in settings and the iPad is now usable......just. I disabled 'auto brightness' to see if that was the bug?

I switched back on and the 'flickering' has returned.....the lower half of the screen flickers as though there is some 'radio interference' or something ....... There isn't - my iPad is right next to it and it's working 100% fine (not wanting to tempt fate...)

I tried the screenshot and then messaged it over to my iPad....the 'faulty' iPad is 'functioning' fine....the screenshot came through completely normal...!!

Same sort of thing happened to mine, I took it to the genius bar and they informed me it was probably a hardware
problem. My iPad 2 is just under a year old with the usual scratches you'd get from usual wear and tear. They informed me as it was under warranty they would replace it and they had them in stock......however it would also cost £200 inc vat to do this because it was probably my fault that the iPad was playing up due to the condition of it. It has not been dropped or heavily banged about. This just seems to be Apples way of getting out of replacing the iPad, put the blame on the user and get me to try and prove I haven't dropped it!! So if your iPad isn't in immaculate condion then its going to cost £200. I wasn't willing to pay £200 so their suggestion was to claim a new one on my house insurance!! This also makes me wonder whats the point of buying an extended warranty for £70 if that's the solution!!!
I was so annoyed when I walked out the shop I shook my iPad and it's worked brilliantly ever since :D

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Auto brightness would explain initial dim screen however the flicker is an indication of a failing/faulty graphics accelerator.

Take it back.

Most reactions

Latest posts