What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flickering issues on Ipad 2

Beny748

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

I bought my Ipad 2 wifi about a year ago from a 3rd party (Family member bought a month prior and recently purchased a new Macbook so decided to sell). Everything was as usual, all the accessories were in the box and the Ipad screen still had the plastic coating. I mainly use the Ipad for school work as I am a student, however I do often play some games as well. I have used roughly 7/16GBs of the memory. Everything has being working just fine for the past 11 months or so, occasionally apps will freeze and need to be restarted, but as everyone knows, this is common for computers all shapes and sizes.

Today it began to freeze for a brief moment and then turn black for a few moments. Then it would flash back to the application I was using (at this time I was switching between games and safari). It would flash back and forth numerous times for about a minute before I did a simple reset (Hold the sleep button until the red bar appeared). After it reset, the problem still occurred after 20 seconds. I then proceeded to do a hard reset (Hold sleep and home button until reset). Afterwards, the flickering had stopped and normal activity proceeded.

A couple of hours later, the same problem occurred, so I again followed the previous procedure, and once again the system was back to normal. I now wonder, is this a hardware problem? Is there anyway to know without going into Apple? If so, am i screwed? As I mentioned earlier, I bought this from a 3rd party (Unfortunately no receipt included, however no I have not jailbroken) so I was not able to get warranty let alone extended warranty. Is it too late to get applecare? Any and every advice relating to this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Ben

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too late to get AppleCare. Don't know whether it's a hardware prob, but have you been closing unused apps? iPad 1 and 2 have limited RAM, and tend to crash more often now because the combo of upgraded firmware and apps tend to overtax them. If you play a lot of games, you might need to consider upgrading to a newer iPad model.

Come to think of it, you might as well as quickly contact Apple and see whether you can buy AppleCare. Maybe they'll let you buy even without receipt if they have registration for when the iPad was originally sold on file. And I'd check soon, because you indicate the iPad is a year old. Maybe you're still within days of first-year ownership, when you can still typically buy AppleCare.

Last edited:
OP
B

Beny748

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I would not always minimize unused apps, I have in the past closed them. I was wondering about the capabilities due to RAM. I
Actually just registered a week ago.... Wasn't aware of registration, I know it sounds silly. Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

Latest posts