What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I bought an Ipad off Ebay and it was faulty..

Fluidz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've really had some bad luck with the last 3 Ipads that I bought, noticebly what I would call 'screen defects'

I'm in a predicament at the moment as I've the cash to buy a new Ipad 64gb wifi off ebay for a great price as I've a 10% discount voucher which has been emailed to me, and needs to be used within a week!!

After being told by an Apple genius that I shouldn't be looking for flaws, having flicked through 3 of their instore models, all opened in front of their very eyes, and finding they all had different screen issues, I've ever so slightly lost faith in Apple. Speaking of bad luck, after inspecting all replacement models given to me, common defects were found such as light bleeding from the screen edges, patchy light escaping in blotches while the screen was at maximum brightness with a static black image on the display and most annoying of all which in contrast to the light issues is all had uneven white levels. One was pinkish, the other two a blend of white --> yellow/white across the screen. No even tint. I've a 3 year old lcd tv at home sitting in front of me a few hours per day running the graphics off my pc, and this has no white level issues. I've almost gotten used to the perfect natural white levels and when I see Ipads white level defects It really annoys me.
Now I wouldn't be so fussy if I wasn't subject to looking at white backgrounds, but as safari runs them natively, and almost every webpage shows white its hardly easy ignoring it. I know countless threads have emmerged here regarding the subject and i'm just another in line.

Recently I called up somebody who was advertising their 'new ipad' 3rd edition 32gb, and was asking £50 off the price, it was apparently in mint condition so I jumped at the prospect and tried to initiate a viewing. Conversation started and led into me asking if there was any issues with the screen. What I got was an expected answer - "not that I can see". I asked the guy to take some pics of the screen under certain conditions, black screen, white screen, dark room etc.. And what I found was shocking. Even though what I was seeing was painfull, he didn't regard it as a fault. There was visible light leaking from the top, quite a long stretch too and was only visible if tilted away. But still he didn't know it was there and asked me if he could return it. Most people that spend their hard earned cash and may never discover a fault, they may sell it on in the future to somebody who does discover such a fault, narrowing down their chances of flogging it. Most people don't even know their display is faulty unless they read about what they should expect, just like I did here.

I put up an advertisement in a well known consumer electronic classified ads forum, asking for an Ipad with no screen issues, there are Ipads selling there like hot cakes on a winters day, very often that is yet nobody has replied to my ad with what i'm looking for. My feedback score is positive.

Ending my rant, it has brought me to the question I intended to ask originally. If I bought an Ipad, new and boxed, off Ebay, could I take it into any apple store here in the Uk to get it replaced or would it be a winded route of getting in touch with whoever sold me it in the first place off ebay and trying to prove something which annoys me is a fault to somebody who may see it as tedious.

Cheers.

Last edited:
L

Lunar

Ending my rant, it has brought me to the question I intended to ask originally. If I bought an Ipad, new and boxed, off Ebay, could I take it into any apple store here in the Uk to get it replaced or would it be a winded route of getting in touch with whoever sold me it in the first place off ebay and trying to prove something which annoys me is a fault to somebody who may see it as tedious.

Cheers.

I assume if the seller of the iPad passes the original receipt to the buyer, then they may have a good chance of benefiting from the remaining warranty.

I recall buying a fairly expensive DSLR camera some years ago from a seller on ebay, which came with his original purchase receipt from PC World. 6 months later it packed in, refusing to initialise when powered on. I had no problems at all getting PC World to repair it, I did have to wait 2 weeks, but they got it repaired without any hassle at all.
IOW, as long as you hold the original receipt showing purchase date etc. one should still be able to get it repaired under warranty, obviously it may be prudent not to mention that you are not the original purchaser.

Whether Apple would replace it is at their discretion, especially once the iPad is outside of it's 2 weeks no hassle return policy, but I'm sure they would arrange it's repair or do something for you, as long as you have the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing you say bothers me.
You say you have a 3 year old tv that has better screen characteristics than three iPads you checked. But you say you saw problems at 100% brightness.

Well that is just silly! Go home and turn up your tv to 100% brightness and see if the color is still perfect and there are no blotches. No one expects the extreme to be the same as normal settings.

And depending on the lighting in the store there is no way to just eyeball color accuracy of a white screen. Seriously there is no way. It all comes from imagination if that is how you did the judgement.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fluidz said:
Hi all,

I've really had some bad luck with the last 3 Ipads that I bought, noticebly what I would call 'screen defects'

I'm in a predicament at the moment as I've the cash to buy a new Ipad 64gb wifi off ebay for a great price as I've a 10% discount voucher which has been emailed to me, and needs to be used within a week!!

After being told by an Apple genius that I shouldn't be looking for flaws, having flicked through 3 of their instore models, all opened in front of their very eyes, and finding they all had different screen issues, I've ever so slightly lost faith in Apple. Speaking of bad luck, after inspecting all replacement models given to me, common defects were found such as light bleeding from the screen edges, patchy light escaping in blotches while the screen was at maximum brightness with a static black image on the display and most annoying of all which in contrast to the light issues is all had uneven white levels. One was pinkish, the other two a blend of white --> yellow/white across the screen. No even tint. I've a 3 year old lcd tv at home sitting in front of me a few hours per day running the graphics off my pc, and this has no white level issues. I've almost gotten used to the perfect natural white levels and when I see Ipads white level defects It really annoys me.
Now I wouldn't be so fussy if I wasn't subject to looking at white backgrounds, but as safari runs them natively, and almost every webpage shows white its hardly easy ignoring it. I know countless threads have emmerged here regarding the subject and i'm just another in line.

Recently I called up somebody who was advertising their 'new ipad' 3rd edition 32gb, and was asking £50 off the price, it was apparently in mint condition so I jumped at the prospect and tried to initiate a viewing. Conversation started and led into me asking if there was any issues with the screen. What I got was an expected answer - "not that I can see". I asked the guy to take some pics of the screen under certain conditions, black screen, white screen, dark room etc.. And what I found was shocking. Even though what I was seeing was painfull, he didn't regard it as a fault. There was visible light leaking from the top, quite a long stretch too and was only visible if tilted away. But still he didn't know it was there and asked me if he could return it. Most people that spend their hard earned cash and may never discover a fault, they may sell it on in the future to somebody who does discover such a fault, narrowing down their chances of flogging it. Most people don't even know their display is faulty unless they read about what they should expect, just like I did here.

I put up an advertisement in a well known consumer electronic classified ads forum, asking for an Ipad with no screen issues, there are Ipads selling there like hot cakes on a winters day, very often that is yet nobody has replied to my ad with what i'm looking for. My feedback score is positive.

Cheers.

If the seller did not consider the screen as defective until your observations had him believe otherwise then the iPad was not defective IMO.

"If a tree falls in the forest and their is nobody there to hear it does it make a sound?"

He was happy until you pointed out what you deemed a fault.

While completely unrelated many people have bad self images not because they don't like what they see....someone else decides for them they have a fault.

Blah.....

Maybe you should look at an Android tablet.....

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to google what bad screen bleed looks like. When this all surfaced I checked every iPad in the family as well as friends iPads (3 iPad 2s and 3 new iPads) and they all had some screen bleed. Also, like zphone said you cannot see this when you are in the store or any room with light for that matter. You need to download a pure black image and view it at %100 in the bathroom with the lights off.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
You need to download a pure black image and view it at %100 in the bathroom with the lights off.
or better said under common operating conditions.......

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The yellowing you are seeing is probably due to the glue still curing since the device was probably just manufactured in the last 21 days. Odds are one of those 2 units will be perfect as soon as the glue finishes its curing stage.

So you probably already held a perfect iPad (3rd Gen) and didn't know it because you didn't understand what you were actually looking at.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skull One said:
The yellowing you are seeing is probably due to the glue still curing since the device was probably just manufactured in the last 21 days. Odds are one of those 2 units will be perfect as soon as the glue finishes its curing stage.

So you probably already held a perfect iPad (3rd Gen) and didn't know it because you didn't understand what you were actually looking at.

This may be unrelated but, my neighbor next door to me had a beautiful purple flowering plant growing in her garden. The plant had a lovely fragrance and she had planted it several years ago with her husband who had found it in some exotic catalog. When she saw this plant she remembered her husband. One day, the idiot neighbor on the other side told my neighbor that she had planted a common weed from South Africa and it was an invasive and banned plant. This upset her so much that she was going to pull it out of the ground and dispose it. Since it was a large plant she came over to me and asked me to help her. When I asked her why she was going to destroy this beautiful plant, she told me why. I told her our neighbor was a jack ass and didn't know anything about plants. I told her that a native plant from South Africa cannot thrive here in NE Indiana. and that her plant was actually a very old heirloom lilac. My neighbor, kind hearted and generous smiled and thanked me and said conspiratorially, well let's not tell Jack how ill-informed he is.

Thank goodness she sought a second opinion.

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of the apple devices have a lot of backlight bleeding. i think you may just be picky.

Most reactions