What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad noob, few questions

Mookers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wife and I bought our first Apple device back in June this year, iPad Mini. The device works very well but it seems it's getting sluggish now. When my Windows on my laptop goes bad like this I just reinstall the OS. Do I need to do this with the iPad? Are there free software I can get that might clean it up? If I do need to restore it, how do I back up our photos on it? I have not installed iTunes on my laptop and from what I have seen with friends who have tried to connect an Apple device after using it for a bit, iTunes wants to delete the device and I don't want that to happen. I need to get the photo's off of it before I restore the device if I go that way.
If anyone has some advice it would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wife and I bought our first Apple device back in June this year, iPad Mini. The device works very well but it seems it's getting sluggish now. When my Windows on my laptop goes bad like this I just reinstall the OS. Do I need to do this with the iPad? Are there free software I can get that might clean it up? If I do need to restore it, how do I back up our photos on it? I have not installed iTunes on my laptop and from what I have seen with friends who have tried to connect an Apple device after using it for a bit, iTunes wants to delete the device and I don't want that to happen. I need to get the photo's off of it before I restore the device if I go that way.
If anyone has some advice it would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks

You can connect the Mini to a PC and then access the photos on it via Windows Explorer (just keep drilling down until you get to your photos). This can be done at any time.

But yes, in order to put a fresh version of the iOS (which is currently iOS 8.0.2) on it, you will need to use iTunes, which means you will have to sync the iPad to iTunes.

It all starts with downloading the mist current iTunes and connecting your iPad. You will get a pop-up of some warning/action required. Do not accept it.

After you deny the initial prompt, right-click on the iPad line and select Reseat Warnings."

Then, right click again and select Transfers Purchses." iTunes will then move a copy of the apps you've got installed on the Mini to it's files. It will leave them installed on your iPad.

When the transfer is done, then right-click again and select "back-up." This will have iTunes create a back-up of your device (this will include your data and settings, also).

Once you are finished, you will then have the goad synced with an iTunes account. So, you should then be able to restore a fresh iOS.

Marilyn

OP
M

Mookers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ohhh wicked, thanks so much forthe help, I'll give this a try when I get home from work tonight. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts