What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black ipad screen

westcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Self confessed technophobe needs help. Recently purchased iPad mini and my enjoyment is being spoilt because the screen has gone black with weird contrast for example dark faces with white teeth. I have looked at suggestions to resolve and tried restart and full power charge without making a difference. Then attempted to restore. Do not have apple laptop but connected my iPad to my Microsoft ran laptop. Unable to get the iTunes screen to enable me to select iPad restore. How do I restore the iPad or do I not need to.

Don't normally participate in forums but necessity has pushed me here. Could anyone offer suggestions but please keep it simple.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

You could have changed a setting unwittingly.
Go to Settings - General - Accessibility, and make sure that "Invert Colours" is disabled there.

You could also try to restart or reset your iPad:
Restart: turn off your device, then turn it on again.
Reset: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

Last edited:
OP
W

westcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for getting back. Just checked settings and inverted colours is still set as off. Any other ideas welcome

OP
W

westcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Forgot to say I have also done reset and restart but screen just returned black

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your device's software up to date? (6.1.3)
Close all apps in multitask bar: double tap the Home button to reveal the multitask bar, then tap and hold one of the apps there until it starts to wiggle, delete them all.

If your iPad isn't appearing in iTunes, try another USB port, or deleting iTunes on your pc and reinstalling it.

This is the way to restore your iPad, if needed: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Last edited:
OP
W

westcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I managed to get the iPad restored and backed up data etc. when I turned it back on screen is still black. It is like there is previous screen burned on faintly in back ground. Need full brightness to even see keys. I am now wondering whether device is faulty.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible that the backlight is faulty. A Genius Bar appointment may be in order here.

OP
W

westcroft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible that the backlight is faulty. A Genius Bar appointment may be in order here.

Running out of alternatives to device fault. Thanks will mention back light when I take it back.

julialloyds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To recover back from Black iPad screen or from DFU mode you just have to press the sleep and home button for 10 seconds. And then release the sleep button and let the home button press for 10 sec alone until the apple iTunes says the gadget is in recovery mode. Then connect the iPhone and follow the remainder of the on screen instructions. There is another tool to exit from recovery DFU mode is Tiny Umbrella. For this you have to quit iTunes and connect the iPhone and launch the Tiny Umbrella and click on either ‘Exit’ or ‘FIX’ recovery. This is very efficient, see more:
http://www.iosdevicerecovery.info/ipad-data-recovery.php

Most reactions

Latest posts