What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple noob with a few questions

EUROCOM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a iPad for school and just want to verify that it can do what I need, also this is my first apple product, more of a PC man but this thing looks really awesome and am ready to give macs a try.

Things I need:
Note taking app that lets me upload power point and other documents and highlight them and either write on or type on.
A app that lets me view all microsoft office documents(word,excel,PP), edit them, and transfer them to a different computer.
A nice app to type essays in(I plan on getting either the Rocketfish iCapsule keyboard or the ZAGG ZAGGmate case for papers)
Also a must is I need a app that will allow me to have flash(for those familiar, mainly for a site called MyMathLab) I was told at best buy I can download a different web browser and I will be able to do this.

Thank you very much for the help in advance, I will search around the site but would like to ask these questions in case I cannot find the info I need.

Edit: Apps I have looked at our iAnnonate,Pages,Numbers,Evernote and Keynote, Will any of these do what I need?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have my doubts about your Flash site. Best to supply a link, if possible, and have someone with one of the 'only two' third party browsers that offer limited Flash compatibility.

The rest is doable, though it may be necessary to convert the ppt files to PDF if you need to annotate them. There has been some discussion on it but no one's posted an answer: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/17944-editing-ppt-speaker-notes.html

OP
E

EUROCOM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not certain what the flash thing he was talking about is called, I do know it was just a browser though. I'm thinking I will see if they can get it so I can log into my work to see if it works at the store. If the rest is doable then I guess I could always do my one courses work at home. Also I forgot to ask, but I assume I can print from it, or would I need to like email myself and re open it on a different computer to print?

Thank you for your help twerppoet!

Edit: Also if anyone has one of the sites that claims to have flash, the site is CourseCompass/MyMathLab if anyone could check it for me :).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For printing you can either buy one of the few HP Printers that support AirPrint (Apples method), Use PrintCentral which promises to work with most WiFi capable printers, use one of the other print apps that works depending on the app you are printing from and requires companion software on a computer with a printer attached. And you can almost always email the file to another computer from within the app you are using. That is important, because there is no shared file system. Each app owns it's own files, and while you can move files between most apps it requires some finagling.

There are a few other variations, but the general idea is that yes you can print, but all the solutions could use some work. You'll have to consider your needs and the apps you will be using before deciding the best method.

I grabbed Puffin, one of the two Flash browsers. It works, more or less, with the sample tutorials on the main site. The Flash window's interface is almost impossible to control, but you can listen and watch. That is probably the best you are going to get for Flash compatibility. You can use it in a pinch but you are going to have a much better experience on a computer.

BTW, you have my full sympathy. If your actual course material is going to be as dry and forced as those sample tutorials you're going to need lots of coffee.

canuckle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For flash, you can use Cloud Browse, but if you need it for more than 5 minutes at a time it has a $6 monthly fee associated which is a pain.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Every since I made the comment I've been running across more Flash enabled browsers. My predictions of how good they are doesn't seem to be missing the mark though.

Puffin has no fees.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not brilliantly, but Puffin does work.
Thought I'd try it on some obscure videos and was surprised how it handled them.
Worth it for the few I would want to watch.

canuckle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Every since I made the comment I've been running across more Flash enabled browsers. My predictions of how good they are doesn't seem to be missing the mark though.

Puffin has no fees.

Thanks for the tip - Puffin is a superior choice to cloud browser and cheaper to boot.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure the OP knows this, but just to clarify so there's no surprises, the iPad is not a Mac. A Mac of course would be able to do everything you need. The iPad is awesome, but I don't think it's a good choice for school.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I more or less agree with that. If you can get only one device for school, get a laptop, not a netbook, a real laptop. Or at least one of the top line netbooks that costs almost as much as a laptop.

If you can get two, get the laptop and an iPad.

canuckle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to get a desktop and an iPad. You can always access the desktop from the iPad, but why carry two portable devices?

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note taking app that lets me upload power point and other documents and highlight them and either write on or type on. - Goodreader, or iAnnotate

A app that lets me view all microsoft office documents(word,excel,PP), edit them, and transfer them to a different computer. - Quick Office HD

I am not expert and am just learning this myself. Quick Office is really bare bones. Also, none of the apps really do a great job, you sort of need several apps to do things. Note Taker HD let's you do some nice annotation, and also allows manipulation of pages within PDFs ( which most PDF apps won't do).

I plan on using my iPad only for use at school for notes, etc, but will have a regular computer for doing the real work. The iPad apps don't have the horsepower of a PC.

OP
E

EUROCOM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry I haven't responded for a few.
Thanks for all the responses! Aso, I did get a iPad, I am actually on it right now and love it so far. I have a few apps, all free but will be purchasing a few of the listed apps this weekend to try out in school.

Also, I did have a laptop and sold it for this, just because I felt it was to big. I do have 3 desktops at home and a laptop if needed(my fathers). I plan on pretty much musing this in school because it is small and I just want to take notes and do what I listed before. Hopefully it works out well, haven't had a chance to try it in class yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts