What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Mini wifi+cellular bricked?

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

Recently bought a refurbished Ipad Mini Retina wifi+cellular for a bargain price off Ebay through Tesco Outlet. On receiving it I set up and it was working OK. Connected it to ITunes but it said it couldn't activate the Ipad. Annoying. So I thought I'd do a restore to factory settings, but I've had an error (1) while trying to restore. I've tried absolutely everything online to try to fix it with no luck. Would Apple Store do anything to help or should I just get a refund?
Thanks, Simon

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there

Recently bought a refurbished Ipad Mini Retina wifi+cellular for a bargain price off Ebay through Tesco Outlet. On receiving it I set up and it was working OK. Connected it to ITunes but it said it couldn't activate the Ipad. Annoying. So I thought I'd do a restore to factory settings, but I've had an error (1) while trying to restore. I've tried absolutely everything online to try to fix it with no luck. Would Apple Store do anything to help or should I just get a refund?
Thanks, Simon
Are you getting a pop up that says that the iPad is associated with another Apple ID and asking for the password associated with that account?
If so, there is no way around the problem. Only the original owner can activate tha iPad and properly erase it so a new owner can use it.
You should return the iPad for a full refund as in its present state it's useless to you or anybody else other than the original owner.

Last edited:
OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I don't think it was saying that- it just said it can't activate due to an error. But now I can't restore, it's stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen.

OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty sure it said "The iPad is not recognized and cannot be activated for service."

Last edited:
OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried it in DFU mode but still getting error (1)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error code #1 usually means there's a hardware issue. Are you close enough to an Apple Store to take it in for a Genius Bar appointment?

OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an Apple store about 30 minutes away. Do you think they'll be able to do anything? I contacted Tesco Outlet and they said to send it back to them for repair/refund but it's such a good deal I really want it back working!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is a hardware issue you should consider a refund. A repair through Tesco will leave you without the iPad while you wait for the return of the repaired iPad.

If your iPad is still covered under the original Apple warranty, the Apple Store may exchange it on the spot. To check if your iPad still has Apple warranty coverage go to this site and enter the device serial number.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True but I don't want to get a refund really because it was an absolute bargain (maybe why it's faulty?!)

OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says this:
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: December 23, 2014

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It says this:
Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: December 23, 2014
That's excellent news! Unless the previous owner abused the iPad, a hardware issue will be covered under the warranty. If they don't repair the iPad, Apple will exchange it for a new or factory refurbished iPad.

OP
S

smicer07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fab, thanks for your help. I've booked an appointment for Thursday in Liverpool so I'll let you know what they say. Cheers for all the advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts