Ipad Mini 2 wake/sleep not working with Apple Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by fourlights, Jun 22, 2015.

1. fourlights

fourlights
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I purchased an Ipad Mini 2 (with the retina display) about a month ago and the wake/sleep function does not work on any of my covers. I have an official Apple Ipad mini cover and a third party cover, neither of which activate the lock/unlock function in my Settings. I've even tried pressing the magnet around the Ipad to try and activate it, but no luck.

2. eddieg

eddieg
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Do you have it turned on in settings?

3. fourlights

fourlights
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    That's the problem, the Lock/Unlock feature hasn't appeared in my settings, even after putting on an Apple Smart cover

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You have 90 days of free telephone technical support with the purchase of your iPad, why not give Apple a call?

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Settings > Genreal > Reset > Reset All Settings will probably do the trick; but it will also default many of your other settings; and you'll go through part of the setup procedure again.

But it wont' delete anything, and it won't change your account settings.

Once you've done the reset, open and close the cover again, and check Settings > General for the Lock/Unlock switch.

Don't tap the Erase All Content and Settings by mistake. That does what it says, and is the last resort; only after making sure you've got a good backup and have saved important stuff to another location (as an extra precaution).

6. fourlights

fourlights
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I just tried this, unfortunately no luck. :( I might try restoring to a previous IOS version, or perhaps the Factory reset you mentioned? If all else fails, I may just give Apple a call. It just seems like such a hassle for such a small thing though, everything else works perfect as far as I'm aware. But I guess it bothers me enough to reach out for advice, lol.

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The only software version you're able to install is iOS 8.3, it's not possible to revert to a previous version.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    At this point I'd go ahead and call Apple's Tech support. You might as well, and it may lead to a free replacement if that's needed. Be sure to have your serial number ready. They will need to confirm that your iPad is still under the original 90 day support umbrella.

Or, if an Apple Store is near by you can always get a Genius appointment and have them check it out. That's free too, though any repairs may cost. Though if it's hardware failure you should be covered under your warranty.

You can check the status of your coverage here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do