1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad and cellular data

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by ottiliegirl, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope this is the correct place for my question. If not please redirect me. During the recent power outage I realized that if I signed up for cellular data access I would be able to communicate with the world in some manner. However, I feel that I do not really understand what I am doing. What I do understand is that if I have no power and no wifi service I will be able to connect through my cellular data account. What happens when my wifi service becomes active again? Is it correct that unless I turn off the cellular data service that it will continue to be used like wifi instead of using my wifi service? My iPad was set to cellular data ON, Enable LTE set to ON and roaming set to OFF. I only want to use cellular data when I am away from my own wifi site. Thank you any help and understandin you can give me.

Ottiliegirl
  2. Skull One

Skull One iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0
    As long as you have WiFi turned on and you leave all the other settings you listed alone, the moment the iPad detects your WiFi signal it will switch from LTE/3G to WiFi automatically. So you have nothing to worry about.
  3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Of your wifi comes back on, your iPad will get back on wifi. It will always pick wifi over LTE unless you force wifi off. Basically, it does exactly what you want.
  4. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for that input. It definetly clears things up for me.
    Ottiliegirl.