What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 2 Disconnects From Wireless Modem

TechnicGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I used to connect wireless router to my ISP's modem and all worked fine until I decided I do no longer need wireless router and started connecting through ISP's modem. Then around once a week I get disconnected from ISP's modem. Reconnecting does not help, restarting ISP's modem does not help. The only thing that helps is restarting iPad. I do not have this problem with other devices that I connect to ISP's modem.

0006036a0f3ac0dc.jpg

OP
TechnicGeek

TechnicGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@scifan57 It hangs sometimes and I have to manually restart it. Also takes space on my table.

D

Deleted member 247820

I have the iPad mini 2.
I use it via my iPhone hotspot.
And every now and then, connecting is slow or stubborn to connect.
Like you doing a "restart" on the iPad fixes it.
Maybe it is a quirk that you need to accept.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why not reconnect your wireless router?

@scifan57 It hangs sometimes and I have to manually restart it. Also takes space on my table.

@ TechnicGeek - I agree w/ Scifan.., but suggest that you provide more information: 1) Which ISP do you use; and 2) Is their 'modem' a combo modem/router that also provides a Wi-Fi network? A modem (more info HERE which you may already know?) is simply a way to connect to the internet and offers little other protection to your devices on a home network; a router is more complex and typically provides a firewall, DHCP, NAT, wireless Wi-Fi, and possibly other features.

Now I'm assuming that your ISP has provided you w/ a combo modem/router and the latter establishes a Wi-Fi network so that your devices can connect - is that correct? If so, you should not be using 2 routers w/ active DHCPs - either use the combo device w/ the modem or disable the router in the modem and use your own router; also, your ISP's machinery may be the issue and likely can be exchanged at no cost (I'm about to do that w/ an older Spectrum DVR on my den TV).

Now I've made several assumptions that may be incorrect; if so, my apologies but please explain your setup further at any rate. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts