What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Cellular and 4G LTE?

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an iPad Air 2 (Unlocked 4G LTE). However, I need a little more clarification as to the terminology that is used. Sites are advertising the Air 2 as Cellular unlocked, Unlocked 4G LTE, Wi-Fi + Cellular, or Wi-Fi +4G LTE. Do all of these definitions have the same meaning, i.e. is the Wi-Fi + Cellular the same as the Wi-Fi + 4G LTE?

I believe that some can only be used with a certain carrier such as (T-Mobile only) or (AT&T & Verizon) etc. I am looking for an Air 2 that can be used with any carrier that supports 4G LTE, and it is my understanding that the definition Cellular doesn't necessarily mean 4G LTE, am I correct?

Should I “only” look for the specific words Wi-Fi + 4G LTE?

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A WiFi plus cellular iPad Air 2 includes support for the latest 4G and LTE data connections as well as EDGE, 2G, and 3G if that's all that's available in a particular area due to a weak cellular signal. Most iPads are sold unlocked and can be used with any compatible cellular carrier. Just buy your iPad from an Apple Store or a place like Best Buy and not from your cellular carrier.

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi scifan57,
Thank you for the information, however, you posted a link below to the Forum rules. Was I guilty of some infraction or is that a link you normaly post below a reply?

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A WiFi plus cellular iPad Air 2 includes support for the latest 4G and LTE data connections as well as EDGE, 2G, and 3G if that's all that's available in a particular area due to a weak cellular signal. Most iPads are sold unlocked and can be used with any compatible cellular carrier. Just buy your iPad from an Apple Store or a place like Best Buy and not from your cellular carrier.
Hi scifan57,
Thank you for the information, however, you posted a link below to the Forum rules. Was I guilty of some infraction or is that a link you normaly post below a reply?

Also, I've just come across this regarding an iPad I am interested in;
NEW Apple iPAD AIR 2 128GB - SPACE GRAY - 4G LTE GSM Cellular + WiFi - FACTORY UNLOCKED (nano SIM required for cellular connection, NOT included).

The tablet has been FACTORY UNLOCKED for ALL GSM carriers (prepaid/domestic/international/GLOBAL GSM carriers). Will NOT work for CDMA carriers (Verizon/Sprint/Boost).

Still a little confused. This eliminates all CDMA carriers and is for GSM only. Are you saying that there is a version that can accomodate both CDMA and GSM?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are no separate GSM and CDMA versions of the iPad Air 2. The refusal of Verizon to activate an AT&T iPad Air 2 on their network is more of a policy decision than a technical limitation. That being said, some people have been able to activate their AT&T iPad Air 2 with Verizon by using a Verizon SIM card and not telling Verizon that it's an AT&T iPad when they contact Verizon to have it activated. I found this on MacRumors. Carrier - Proof that AT&T iPad Air can be Activated on Verizon | MacRumors Forums

The link to the forum rules is part of my signature and appears in every post I make and does not mean that you're doing anything in violation of the forum rules.

OP
I

IndieP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are no separate GSM and CDMA versions of the iPad Air 2. The refusal of Verizon to activate an AT&T iPad Air 2 on their network is more of a policy decision than a technical limitation. That being said, some people have been able to activate their AT&T iPad Air 2 with Verizon by using a Verizon SIM card and not telling Verizon that it's an AT&T iPad when they contact Verizon to have it activated. I found this on MacRumors. Carrier - Proof that AT&T iPad Air can be Activated on Verizon | MacRumors Forums

The link to the forum rules is part of my signature and appears in every post I make and does not mean that you're doing anything in violation of the forum rules.

Most reactions

Latest posts