What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the days of cellular iPads getting shorter?

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad1 is a 3G AT&T model. I never used the cellular feature that often but when I did need it a few times I was glad I had it.
My iPad3 is a 4G/LTE Verizon model. I used it one month.
My Mini is WiFi only.

I don't see a reason to continue to spend the extra $ on cellular versions of iPads any longer because I can just tether off my iPhone.
I regret spending the extra cash on my iPad3 because shortly after I bought it I learned that I could just tether.

I realize the cellular models sometimes come with an extra GPS chip that some my really want. And tethering may not be as fast or convenient as having the built in cellular, but for the added initial cost plus the price of a plan I don't ever see myself buying a cellular version of an iPad again.

Does anyone else feel like this?
Does anyone else think that cellular versions are going to really start die off in sales in the future?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Suspect that cellular sells may increase once people realize that the iPad can be used as a LTE hotspot and is both cheaper on data plans than a MiFi hotspot and can last for up to 24 hours as a hotspot. That means the device can now pull triple duty (iPad, Hotspot and GPS).

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I only am interested in the cellular models.

We don't have cell phones(shocking, yes!) and I work from home. Sometimes our cable goes out and thus, phone and net as well. My iPad is the only acess to outside life we have then. Power goes out, same thing. I like the fact that I can use cell if I want and not rely on hotspots or public wifi. And the chipset is nice. Plus if my wifi chip ever died(like it did in a touch I had), then it isn't just an expensive paperweight that plays music and games. At least the cell connection is there to use.
Do I like the monthly charges to use data? No, I think it's a big rip. But then you think what AOL used to charge for web dial up and it came way down over time. Hopefully the cell on iPads will do the same.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Skull one...hotspoting of a phone isn't going to work nearly as well as doing so off a tablet (as tablets generally have way more battery). Also, with the carriers going to shared data plans it will encourage more devices on LTE, not less. Given that I'm on wifi most of the time, a shared plan means I can put two tablets and one phone on shared and not have to worry about blowing a data cap (I dont' stream on LTE, just surf the web and don't email).

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, the cellular iPad seems redundant if you use multiple iDevices from Apple.

I have only one iPad (based off an iMac). I never found the need for the expensive plans associated with the iPhone. Never saw a need for the iPod. None of those Apple iDevices appealed to me until the iPad came along, then I held back until the 3rd gen came out.

So now I find cellular access on the iPad (4G LTE to boot) very convenient. Yet it's still relatively expensive, so I'm glad Verizon has a decent prepaid plan — one that I can resume for just one month at a time and do so no more than three times each year. That's $20/month for the 1GB plan at roughly four month intervals for me. I plan on spending no more than $60 per year on cellular service.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won't buy a tablet without a cellular feature unless I don't plan to ever leave the house with it. I'm not interested in tethering and have resisted myfi because I don't want to be limited by another device's battery life. I've considered it, but it's still unappealing compared with the convenience that I enjoy with data plans on my iPad and phone.

I have bought three iPads for personal use, all with 3G (gave away one of them) and have a 4G iPad on order. I've had 3G on iPad nonstop since iPad 1's 3G debut.

I have a Kindle Fire original and have a Kindle Fire HD on order -- both wifi-only -- but they're never leaving home, and I consider them inferior secondary devices because of the lack of 3G or 4G.

amelie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be it is not we think!

I think that you are right; the future of cellular iPads is fading.I know a lots of my friends that have an opinion on that and they say that they really do not need that cellular chip because they have their iPhones for that purpose so I think that it is completely an extra thing in iPad and people rarely use it.But another point is that if cellular iPads have been made then may be there are people who need it for some purpose; what I want to say that may be it is not what we think.;)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget that if you want the GPS chip you need a cellular iPad. The wifi version doesn't have it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then there's talk of Google or some company blanketing some entire city with free WiFi. Wasn't that in the news?

Broad, powerful, free urban WiFi might just be around the corner... if the all the stars and planets align... who knows.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
veryken said:
Then there's talk of Google or some company blanketing some entire city with free WiFi. Wasn't that in the news?

Broad, powerful, free urban WiFi might just be around the corner... if the all the stars and planets align... who knows.

The entire downtown core of my city has free wifi.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
veryken said:
But you still can't take it with you cross country.

[I'm arguing both sides :D ]

Why not? I do. I use offline maps with my GPS prog, so I don't need an Internet connection, but I do need the GPS chip.

Right now, I don't have wifi, or cellular. I'm using my iPhone as a hotspot. More than one way of killing a cat ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe the market will get smaller for cellular equipped iPads. People are just so into phones these days. And, a top of the line Garmin GPS is $150 bucks which is more portable than even an iPad. This is what we use for trips and navigation. I just don't see the importance of it but those who do will use it. Apple will adjust as necessary. If sales are slumping of cell enabled iPads then they'll slowly phase them out. It's as simple as that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The entire downtown core of my city has free wifi.

My city has it too....but its wonky to use...dropping in/out. slow.

In general, I find free wifi to be of little use because it is so unreliable...at least around these parts.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If cellular is going away, why did Google just release a version of their Nexus 7 with a cellular option?

Shared data plans from the carriers will ensure that the cellular option will NOT go away. Mark my words. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts