What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

camera connection kit + videos = HELP!

BingoBongo275

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been driving me NUTS for days. If I put an MP4 video on an SD card and (via the camera connection kit) attach to the Ipad2. The "photos" app automatically launches and it recognises the photos but NOT the video's

everythings in the DCIM directory
Ive tried different SD cards
Ive tried different MP4 videos

The same videos will be recognised if I load them via iTunes but I want a way to store lots of videos on an external SD card when I go away

Anyone know how to do this?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BingoBongo275 said:
This has been driving me NUTS for days. If I put an MP4 video on an SD card and (via the camera connection kit) attach to the Ipad2. The "photos" app automatically launches and it recognises the photos but NOT the video's

everythings in the DCIM directory
Ive tried different SD cards
Ive tried different MP4 videos

The same videos will be recognised if I load them via iTunes but I want a way to store lots of videos on an external SD card when I go away

Anyone know how to do this?

The cck can ONLY import pics and not videos....or atleast until jailbreak happens and then using ifile. Only way on official iOS is to sync thru iTunes...sorry.

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad videos via SD card

The filename of the video must be the same as the camera format - change it to abc12345.mp4 for example, any 8 digits plus the extension

Michael

ipad_newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to change the filename directly on the iPad? I won't have my laptop and I don't think my camera has an option for filename change.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:
Is there any way to change the filename directly on the iPad? I won't have my laptop and I don't think my camera has an option for filename change.

I don't have the camera kit, but give superfiles lite a try

Tap edit then tap the file you wish to rename, you can then rename it at the very top of the screen

I don't know if this will work with media via the camera kit, but it works with ftp, idisk, mydrive, basically cloud storage services as well as files uploaded via the app, so worth a try, and it is free with a paid version

ipad_newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:

I don't have the camera kit, but give superfiles lite a try

Tap edit then tap the file you wish to rename, you can then rename it at the very top of the screen

I don't know if this will work with media via the camera kit, but it works with ftp, idisk, mydrive, basically cloud storage services as well as files uploaded via the app, so worth a try, and it is free with a paid version

Thanks. I tried it but the file name doesn't show up? Is there any way to browse to the folder where iPad photos are saved by default? When you use the camera connection kit you get the option to import files and it saves them to a folder that I'm not sure how to access on superfiles?

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:
Thanks. I tried it but the file name doesn't show up? Is there any way to browse to the folder where iPad photos are saved by default? When you use the camera connection kit you get the option to import files and it saves them to a folder that I'm not sure how to access on superfiles?

In superfiles, next to the cloud icon, there is a camera icon, tap that, it then asks whether you want to take a photo or choose a photo from the library

When you import photos from the camera kit, it puts them into the library

ipad_newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:

In superfiles, next to the cloud icon, there is a camera icon, tap that, it then asks whether you want to take a photo or choose a photo from the library

When you import photos from the camera kit, it puts them into the library

The issue isn't pics... They import easily. It's videos that I shoot with my Sony Cybershot camera. When I connect the camera to my iPad and import any of those videos, it imports fine but shows a grey icon with "MP4" written on it. Why can't the iPad play these videos? I checked the file names and they're all 8 letters+numbers long and the Sony Cybershot is a popular camera so I can't assume it has to do with the generated files being uncommon?! I'd appreciate any help. I don't believe this is a file name issue.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:
The issue isn't pics... They import easily. It's videos that I shoot with my Sony Cybershot camera. When I connect the camera to my iPad and import any of those videos, it imports fine but shows a grey icon with "MP4" written on it. Why can't the iPad play these videos? I checked the file names and they're all 8 letters+numbers long and the Sony Cybershot is a popular camera so I can't assume it has to do with the generated files being uncommon?! I'd appreciate any help. I don't believe this is a file name issue.

The ipad can play mp4 videos, so it looks like it is the actual resolution of the video, in this case, being too high that the ipad can not handle it, they will need to be recoded to a lower res

ipad_newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:

The ipad can play mp4 videos, so it looks like it is the actual resolution of the video, in this case, being too high that the ipad can not handle it, they will need to be recoded to a lower res

Tried the lowest resolution (vga) and still the same exact issue... So frustrating...

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad_newbie said:
Tried the lowest resolution (vga) and still the same exact issue... So frustrating...

Strange, give me some time, i'll hunt for my CCK and see if i can figure it out

*update*

Not quite what you are after, but close enough

Directory needs to be

dcim\100msdcf

it doesn't have to be 100, but that is the default

Filename

I tested with iron man

With iron man.mp4 no go

When renamed to dsc00001.mp4

Bingo!

Movie res 640x256, file size 534Mb

However, you have to import the movie onto the ipad before you can play it :(

Not sure if that is the case with a jailbroken ipad though

Last edited:

cep1ba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have the issue where the first time you plug the CCK with SD card into the ipad the video looks right (black square with video length) , but if you unplug the CCK and reattach it, it appears as a grey square with no time?

Most reactions

Latest posts