What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Camera Connection Kit - Upgrade voltage hack?

will89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchased one of the iPad camera connection toolkits for using a usb drive with, however the memory stick i need to use with it doesn't work. All it says is that it requires too much power. I have seen a few old posts on the net about this but i am wondering if there is a fix for this yet? I'm running 4.2.1 untethered on an 1st gen iPad 16gb wi-fi+3g.

Thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, there is no fix at the moment, nor am I aware of one in development.

OP
W

will89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. Looks like i will have to switch to my other stick that works. Have they increased the current on they iPad2? Not that i am going to change for one!

Cheers.

slimshotty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the CC kit today. I am running iPad OS 4.3.2 and I can confirm that I can connect to external flash drive as well as an external harddrive connect to an external power source. Good stuff!!

-slimshotty

Reaction score
slimshotty said:
I purchased the CC kit today. I am running iPad OS 4.3.2 and I can confirm that I can connect to external flash drive as well as an external harddrive connect to an external power source. Good stuff!!

-slimshotty

Would you mind sharing which external hard drive you are using?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
slimshotty said:

-slimshotty

Would you mind sharing which external hard drive you are using?

Any external hard drive with an external power source will work!

The trick would be an external hard drive without a power source, of which there are exactly none now because of the voltage limitation...

Reaction score
f4780y said:
Any external hard drive with an external power source will work!

The trick would be an external hard drive without a power source, of which there are exactly none now because of the voltage limitation...

When connecting a Buffalo DriveStation (it has an external powersupply) to the iPad does exactly nothing happen. I have also tried various other combinations, including running a powered hub in-between the hard drive and the iPad to no avail.

NFTS is a dog in the manger, isn't it?

The external hard drive has two partitions, one NFTS and another one Fat32. Is that not enough? Do all partitions need to be Fat32?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Ive got 3 different powered drives... All work.

Format is your problem. Must be fat or fat32.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to use my ipad to charge my phone so I could tether longer.

I can't tether for long at all now. I wish there was some way to fix it.

slimshotty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
NFTS is a dog in the manger, isn't it?

The external hard drive has two partitions, one NFTS and another one Fat32. Is that not enough? Do all partitions need to be Fat32?

If your drive has two partitions that's fine. The entire drive doesn't need to be FAT32 or HFS. Pay close attention to your device list (ls /dev). When I mounted mine, the instructions were to 'mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EXT'. This didn't work because my partition for FAT32 was actually on /dev/disk1s2. So the correct syntax would now be 'mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/EXT'.

I hope this helps. Just run a ls /dev and make sure you are choosing the correct disk and partition.

-slimshotty

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running iPad with os 4.3.2 and have an externally powered iomega 2.5" external drive. It isn't working, hasn't worked since upgrading to 4.2.1....if externally powered drives will work in spite of the voltage cut, why isn't iFile seeing mine?

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok! I finally got it working again using the above command. Used to, iFile would just automatically mount the drive and it would show up the same as if I put an SD card in the cck. Now I have to mount it manually. A couple questions....

1. What is the command to unmount the drive? Because if I just disconnect it then try to mount it again it says resource busy and keeps saying that until I reboot the iPad, then it will let me mount again.

2. Is there any way to get iFile to mount the drive automatically again when I plug it into the cck?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you can do with this iPad Camera Connection Kit?
When using it with iPad2 (which is not yet jailbroken).

Just transfer images and videos from SD card or USB device?

Is it possible to transfer to iPad2 documents, pfg files, excel or powerpoints files from external storage (eg. USB flash memory)?

Most reactions

Latest posts