iPad (battery) life span

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ivo, May 2, 2011.

1. Ivo

Ivo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now the iPad has 10 hours battery life. But for how long it will work like that ? The battery is not exchangeable, so if the battery is finally dead or lasts for 30 minutes, the iPad is ready to be thrown in the garbage, right ? Is there an estimated number of cycles the battery should work with full power and life ? When shall it reach its funeral ?

2. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The ipad's battery should still hold 80% of it's charger after 1000 charge cycles. Ideally of course. But assuming you charge it once fully every day, the iPad should still last 8h after 3 years.

Only the future will tell, whether this estimate is accurate, but it is what Apple promotes.

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
  4. jtrosky

jtrosky iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, they'll replace it for you - for a fee of $99 (assuming the iPad is out of warranty, which i hope it I would be as you shouldn't have battery issues like that within the first year!)

Why don't they just make the batteries user-replaceable? I hate it when a mfg requires me to service an item just to change the battery!!! Of course, it may be a non-issue - time will tell (as said above)! I guess $99 isn't too bad considering the size and capacity of the battery...

5. 82west

82west iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $99 is not bad at all, when you look at the price of lithium batteries, but still would like to have a easy way to do it my self. Seems like a plan to gt you back into the apple store to drool over the new models LOL

6. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,078 / 0
    Yep, I used to complain about that w/ my old Palm devices, but the batteries seem to last for years - switched to an iPod Touch early last year - of course, same issue - :mad:

Now a new iPad2 owner - from the previous statements (and assuming a good battery to start), sounds like you're more likely to replace the iPad w/ the newest generation before the battery goes?

But I was curious if your battery did go after say 3 yrs or so and w/ the device out of warranty, whether one might attempt to open it up and take a look? Looking at the iPad, I see no screws at all, but since Apple can replace the battery there must be a way to pop it apart (might need a special tool?).

Would be interested to hear thoughts from those who may have given this a try w/ an older iPad? The battery(s) must be much smaller than those on a standard laptop but also be curious as to the number, size, and 'real' cost - a $100 is a lot relative to the cost of the iPad - :)

7. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
  8. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would imagine that you will start seeing third party battery replacement services for the iPad at some point. There are a couple of sites that will replace your iPhone or iPod Touch battery for much less than Apple charges, and you actually get to keep your device rather than receiving a refurbished unit in return.

9. Harters

Harters iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I understood that when you pay the $99 Apple actually give you a replacement iPad???

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

10. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Indeed. According to Apple is it cheaper to replace the iPad, then to exchange the battery.

11. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,078 / 0
    DUMI - thanks for that link! Now, I'm an amateur woodworker and have a nice basement shop w/ plenty of tools, including a Makita hot air gun - but looking at those pics tells me that APPLE does not want anyone to attempt such a fussy & potentially dangerous process!

Plus, I've not even checked on the availability of that described battery and/or its price - also, your follow-up post completes the issue that APPLE has made the device pretty much inaccessible to users - rather an irritating attitude toward its customers!

In 1980, I started out w/ computers w/ an Apple II+ - switched to a PC in the mid-80s (really a job issue for office & home); have been a PC user since that time - now own an iPod Touch & this new iPad2 - the policy of this company to virtually exclude the owners of its products to not even have an option to use a program like 'Windows Explorer' is irritating to me - I also have an old laptop w/ Ubuntu (Linux clone) and love the 'openness' of this OS - OTOH, my wife is loving this little iPad - it's simple and she is enjoying the experience so far - OH, well - ;):)