What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad (battery) life span

Ivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now the iPad has 10 hours battery life. But for how long it will work like that ? The battery is not exchangeable, so if the battery is finally dead or lasts for 30 minutes, the iPad is ready to be thrown in the garbage, right ? Is there an estimated number of cycles the battery should work with full power and life ? When shall it reach its funeral ?

Reaction score
The ipad's battery should still hold 80% of it's charger after 1000 charge cycles. Ideally of course. But assuming you charge it once fully every day, the iPad should still last 8h after 3 years.

Only the future will tell, whether this estimate is accurate, but it is what Apple promotes.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Apple will replace the battery for you....

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Tim

Yeah, they'll replace it for you - for a fee of $99 (assuming the iPad is out of warranty, which i hope it I would be as you shouldn't have battery issues like that within the first year!)

Why don't they just make the batteries user-replaceable? I hate it when a mfg requires me to service an item just to change the battery!!! Of course, it may be a non-issue - time will tell (as said above)! I guess $99 isn't too bad considering the size and capacity of the battery...

82west

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$99 is not bad at all, when you look at the price of lithium batteries, but still would like to have a easy way to do it my self. Seems like a plan to gt you back into the apple store to drool over the new models LOL

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, I used to complain about that w/ my old Palm devices, but the batteries seem to last for years - switched to an iPod Touch early last year - of course, same issue - :mad:

Now a new iPad2 owner - from the previous statements (and assuming a good battery to start), sounds like you're more likely to replace the iPad w/ the newest generation before the battery goes?

But I was curious if your battery did go after say 3 yrs or so and w/ the device out of warranty, whether one might attempt to open it up and take a look? Looking at the iPad, I see no screws at all, but since Apple can replace the battery there must be a way to pop it apart (might need a special tool?).

Would be interested to hear thoughts from those who may have given this a try w/ an older iPad? The battery(s) must be much smaller than those on a standard laptop but also be curious as to the number, size, and 'real' cost - a $100 is a lot relative to the cost of the iPad - :)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would imagine that you will start seeing third party battery replacement services for the iPad at some point. There are a couple of sites that will replace your iPhone or iPod Touch battery for much less than Apple charges, and you actually get to keep your device rather than receiving a refurbished unit in return.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understood that when you pay the $99 Apple actually give you a replacement iPad???

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman,

It is definitely possible to replace the battery by yourself, if you have the spare battery, but it will take some more exotic tools to do so, including a heat gun :D

Here is a complete guide of how to open the iPad 2:
iPad 2 Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

DUMI - thanks for that link! Now, I'm an amateur woodworker and have a nice basement shop w/ plenty of tools, including a Makita hot air gun - but looking at those pics tells me that APPLE does not want anyone to attempt such a fussy & potentially dangerous process!

Plus, I've not even checked on the availability of that described battery and/or its price - also, your follow-up post completes the issue that APPLE has made the device pretty much inaccessible to users - rather an irritating attitude toward its customers!

In 1980, I started out w/ computers w/ an Apple II+ - switched to a PC in the mid-80s (really a job issue for office & home); have been a PC user since that time - now own an iPod Touch & this new iPad2 - the policy of this company to virtually exclude the owners of its products to not even have an option to use a program like 'Windows Explorer' is irritating to me - I also have an old laptop w/ Ubuntu (Linux clone) and love the 'openness' of this OS - OTOH, my wife is loving this little iPad - it's simple and she is enjoying the experience so far - OH, well - ;):)

Most reactions

Latest posts