What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Backup in iTunes doesn't appear to have saved my videos - can they be restored?

amshowman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

In iTunes I right clicked on my iPad and selected "create a backup". It then spent quite some time doing that.

Once that had finished I updated the software on the iPad because I've got a developers license and was upgrading to iOS 5 Beta 4. Once it had finished that it asked if I wanted to restore my iPad from an earlier backup. I selected the one it had done just before I updated the software and it spend the best part of an hour transferring everything.

Unfortunately when I now go to my iPad, none of the videos that I had recorded (within the videos app) are there. I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any idea if they can be recovered then I'd be very grateful as there were some important videos on there!

Thanks,

Andrew

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had you previously synchronised your iPad and PC? i.e. are the video in iTunes on the PC?

Tim

OP
A

amshowman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply - I have previous backups but they were done before I shot the videos. I only took the videos on the iPad yesterday but iMovie kept crashing so I thought that upgrading to the latest software might fix it. In the end it just deleted my videos!

They're not in iTunes.

Andrew

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully our iTunes guru member, twerp poet, will come along soon. He knows absolutely everything there is to know about iTunes.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the last backup was not performed when the videos were on the iPad, I don't see any way to recover them.

If you have a backup from when the videos were there, try again. I've read in some cases that a second restore from backup is needed, especially if the first restore was done before the app was actually re-synced to the iPad first.

Well, as a super long shot, you could grab iPhone Explore for you computer. It will allow you to browse through the app directories when you connect the iPhone via USB. I suppose it is possible (though very unlikely) that the videos are still there, user readable, but not registering with the app for some reason. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

OP
A

amshowman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help. I tried iPhone Explorer but that doesn't want to load - it just says, "iPhone Explorer has encountered a user-defined breakpoint". I realised it was a long shot anyway.

Most reactions