What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as input to ham radio

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone hooked an iPad up to a ham radio via Bluetooth to input APRS or Packet messages
Seems like it ought to be doable with something like the Yeasu VX-8DR

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't seen any radio control apps, bluetooth or other wise. That would be awesomely cool though. The iPad would make a great portable packet station.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone hooked an iPad up to a ham radio via Bluetooth to input APRS or Packet messages
Seems like it ought to be doable with something like the Yeasu VX-8DR

About the only thing I have found and use is the Echolink app. I have not seen anything in the VX-8 forum for linking with an iPad yet!

de K5SBH

OP
K

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I an told that Bluetooth on the VX-8DR is only good for audio in/out and when I last researched it the TNC plugged into the remote speaker and earphone connections so it seems like it ought to be possible but I am not geek enough to figure it out.
It would sure be nice to type on my ZAGGmate keyboard and see everything on the iPad screen.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only ham radio app I have used (so far) is EchoLink (although I swore I would NEVER use it!) and I have to say I am enjoying the heck out of it.

In the April 2010 edition of QST, Steve Ford has an article describing some iPod/iPad apps. One of them is iPSK31 that lets you send and receive PSK31 signals. There is also a followup article in the August 2010 edition that discusses how to make interface cables.

It looks like it is going to be a long cold winter, so I may try out some of these apps!

de Scott NØIU

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only ham radio app I have used (so far) is EchoLink (although I swore I would NEVER use it!) and I have to say I am enjoying the heck out of it.

In the April 2010 edition of QST, Steve Ford has an article describing some iPod/iPad apps. One of them is iPSK31 that lets you send and receive PSK31 signals. There is also a followup article in the August 2010 edition that discusses how to make interface cables.

It looks like it is going to be a long cold winter, so I may try out some of these apps!

de Scott NØIU

I use PSK quite often and have not seen that article. I will be doing some research now. Thanks Scott.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I checked it out but I already use HRD and it's connected to my rig already so no need for this. It would be cool to use if it were remotely controlled so I could use it around the house. HRD connects to QRZ and GoogleEarth as well. But as you said, it's cold outside so tinkering with it could still be an option.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will probably be able to install teamviewer and control the pc that's connected to HRD. I don't have my ipad yet but I do this with my laptop a lot.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are iPad apps available from the App Store that decode and display Packet, PSK31 and CW, but they don't seem to be able to send anything.. I'd kind of like to have an iPad app that allows me to use PSK31 from my HF mobile setup..

73 de Jim VE4CY

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK.. I found the i-psk31 app.. It's listed under the iPhone apps, but seems it will work with the iPad..

Question.... Does the external speaker jack of the iPad support a four pole plug? They show it in the schematic supplied by the I-PSK author.

iPod Touch Adaptor

Before I buy the parts and build one to fit my ICOM IC-7000, I'd like to make sure the iPad has a compatible 4 pole socket.. If so, this is GREAT.. I have a few other non ham things I can do with it.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am controlling my rig via my remote desktop software so I guess I can do this from anywhere now. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. 40 meters is doing pretty well right now. :D

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SBHOKC said:
Well I am controlling my rig via my remote desktop software so I guess I can do this from anywhere now. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. 40 meters is doing pretty well right now. :D

Glad that work good for you! I can't wait for the ipad 2 to get my ipad, till then I keep playing with the ipod touch lol.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the iTouch for Echolink for almost a year now. I have a node and repeater here locally but it comes in handy when traveling.

Most reactions