1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

ipad/iphone input

Discussion in 'iPad DIY' started by texaslonghorn, Jul 3, 2010.

1. texaslonghorn

texaslonghorn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does the ipad headphone jack already have the audio input ability like iphone - assuming the cable is properly configured? I am trying to set up an affordable guitar recording rig and similar ones plug into the headphone jack rather than the other connector. Any help/thoughts appreciated.
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Yes, but dont you have to power the guitar?
  3. texaslonghorn

texaslonghorn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No the guitar itself does not require a power source. The output signal is generated by the pickups that convert the vibrration of the strings (sensed by magnetic field variations) into a low power electrical signal. The power I think you refer to is the power needed to amplify that low level signal Into one with enough power to move a speaker driver with enough energy to achieve the desired volume. There are several computer apps that allow you to plug a guitar into the device to record. There are already iPhone and iPad apps for this but still need the ability to attach he guitar somehow.
  4. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1/4" to 1/8" adapter? That would be how I would go about it. Gold plated at least, of course. Could you shed some light into what these programs are called? Interested..
  5. texaslonghorn

texaslonghorn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi. A simple adapter won't work as the signal from the guitar is so low you have to have impedance matching or nothing really gets through. Also, on the ipad headphone jack, the typical Tip-ring-sleeve jack won't work as it grounds out the input signal contact point (which is why there are 4 connection points on the 3.5mm jack for iPhone headsets - the microphone output requires its own contact point). Finally, I don't think you can make the 3.5mm input jack on the iPad operate in stereo, so if you want to create stereo tracks, you have to use the 30pin connector anyway. The apps I am using are Amplitube (for guitar only) and Blue Fire (for stereo).
  6. Webalistic

Webalistic iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I know this is the diy section, but why not just get the iRig adapter? Or a headset adapter cable (which splits into a mic and headphone connector). If you can get one of those 4-connection jack plugs, you could make your own I guess.
  7. DarkLordEnron

DarkLordEnron iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then I am at a loss of how to help. I have a pro tools studio at home and use voice recorder to hum or sing ideas into iPad for future and further refinement on guitar. So I suppose it's not really ideal for me to hook up a guitar to the iPad. On travel it would be SUPER convenient, however! Hmmm.
  8. texaslonghorn

texaslonghorn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    buying the iRig is too easy. You are correct that this is the DIY section, so the point is, well, doing it yourself.
  9. Webalistic

Webalistic iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I found this page. It has a video on it showing the use of a video cable to attach a guitar. See here
  10. texaslonghorn

texaslonghorn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks. Those adapters have the impedance matching circuit in them - at least the one that goes into his guitar does. But I do like this.