What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field mapping and ham radio apps

radiotuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an Engineering Geologist by trade and am considering one of these (instead of a netbook) for field mapping and damage assessment work. I'd like to be able to fetch local maps, add info and labels to them like building damage, faulting, landslides, tsunami damage, take georeferenced photos and send them back to civilization. I'd also like something like Adobe Illustrator for building/trading custom maps and graphics.

The iPhone is slick, cute, had tons of apps, but the screen is just too small for my needs. Also I'm a ham radio operator and wonder about ham-related apps like Morse code and other digital modes, satellite tracking, contest logging, basic circuit design.

Is there some sort of Master List of apps? I want to find out if this is a unit I could actually use for Emergency related work.

Thanks!
Radiotuber

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say your best bet for a 'Master List', would be the app store search. There is reportedly an app for just about anything.

Even though you don't have the iPad yet, you can still install iTunes and search the app store from there.

Edit:

Also I'm a ham radio operator and wonder about ham-related apps like Morse code and other digital modes, satellite tracking, contest logging, basic circuit design.

I just did a quick search and found an app for each of the above :)

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...I don't have an answer for you, but hopefully others may.

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, Skitch would work well for annotating pictures of damage, and even maps as long as you take screen shots of them from another app.

You'll want the 3G/LTE iPad (GPS built in). Make sure location services are turned on for the Photos app and you are good for geo tagging the photos.

There are literally tones of map and GPS apps out there. I'd recommend looking at The MotionX GPS HD app as a kind of general tool. Lots of interesting features and multiple map sources (though they mostly show the same things). This is not the same as the Drive app by the same company.

It's available for the iPhone too, so you can check out the general feature set; but it's is so much easier to use and has more features on the iPad.

I'm not familiar with a any map building apps, though I would not be surprised to see one. There are plenty of drawing apps, both pixel and vector based.

If you are not already familiar with it from the iPhone, Evernote would be an excellent app for gathering and organizing text, visual, and audio notes. You would need a pay account if you want access to all your notes when away from an internet connection, but you can make them offline. Oh, the data limit of the free account might be constraining too. 5MP pictures add up.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts