What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad as a MIDI instrument?

webplodder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have just purchased some software for my desk-top that teaches you how to play the piano. I do have a regular MIDI keyboard to use with this, however, it can be a bit cumbersome to keep having to set everything up and takes up considerable space. I was wondering if there was some way to use my ipad as a MIDI instrument, connected to my PC to use with the software.

Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Webplodder, before spending your money on a camera connection kit, you should wait and see if any member with actual experience answer to say if it can actually be done. The camera connection kit Is intended by Apple to transfer photos from a digital camera or it's SD card, nothing more.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to check out this site for midi solutions. I don't know if they do exactly what you are looking for, but they do some cool looking stuff, so it could be worth a visit.

iRig MIDI

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera connection kit works, I assure you. It's all over the Internet, just google it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would appear this is worth some investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blastingas10 said:
The camera connection kit works, I assure you. It's all over the Internet, just google it.

AQ_OC said:

Thanks for supplying the information, Blastingas10, and thanks AQ_OC for the confirmation that it works.

We do like to be able to confirm solutions here, because we like the information supplied to be complete. Hopefully this is what OP is looking for. It certainly looks like it.

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a great little trick. My USB microphone works through the camera connection kit, as well. A shame that the microphone sucks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a midi keyboard kicking around. It's pretty laggy when plugged in to the PC. I think I'll get a CCK and try it out. Thanks again.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I have a midi keyboard kicking around. It's pretty laggy when plugged in to the PC. I think I'll get a CCK and try it out. Thanks again.

Latency is the enemy of the musician......I'd be looking for a good powered interface for this wether used with a PC or any other type of computer.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've always wanted one of those midi keyboards! If I could hook that into GB, it could turn into fun!

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the the alesis q25 or the akai lpk25. I was torn between the two, I ended up going with the alesis because of its full size keys. The only thing I wish it had is the apreggiator, which the akai has.

They both quick, cheap fixes if you're wanting a midi keyboard. But I would love to have one of the full size ones with the ipad dock. I'm not much of a keyboard player, though, that's why I settled for the q25. I just use it to accompany my guitar playing. I'm tryin to get a little better on the keys, though.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far I know that Avid KeyStudio MIDI keyboard plugs in to the camera kit into the ipad 2 and works with SampleTank Free.
In order to get MIDI keyboards to work you need apps that support Core MIDI. Many free apps don't support Core MIDI; you have to upgrade to the paid version, i.e. Music Studio.
I also know that Akai SynthStation 25 works as Akai's supported keyboard and MIDI keyboard; they operate in two different manner. The dock connector uses the Akai's method and the usb method uses the Core MIDI. However the usb method apparently draws too much power from the ipad 2. The Akai SynthStation 25 works with iMac GarageBand via usb.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts