iPad Air2 Not Charging iOS 11

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Tweak2, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Tweak2

Tweak2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if there is a similar device that would check all the way through the lightning connector?

2. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    A very quick check found a female to male lightning extension lead on Amazon.com, which would probably do the job when attached to your device.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Amazon has a number of inexpensive devices that can measure the voltage and amperage between the charger and the iDevice - I own the one below and just tested 5 chargers that I own w/ my iPad Air 2 & wife's iPad Mini 4 - one included the original Apple charger that came w/ my iPad, i.e. a 10W (5 Volts x 2 Amps) - all chargers put out 5 V but only 1 Amp - the exception was my newest purchase (second pic) which claims to produce a total of 4.8 Amps w/ 2 devices attached, however, I measured only 1.3 Amps - SO, why doesn't the Apple charger (and the one below) measure 2A & 2.4A, respectively? Are the chargers the issue and/or my USB measuring device? Do the iDevices draw less charge when approaching 100% - likely? Should I buy another volt-amp unit?

Note that Apple recommends 10W or 12W chargers for its larger iPads (and even more wattage chargers can be used, especially for the iPad Pro) - just not sure why I'm not seeing 2A from my Apple charger and 2.4A from my newest charger below? May just buy another testing device - they are cheap on Amazon. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: A lot of these dual output chargers will state 5V x 2.4A implying that each output port puts out that amount, but in reality the 2.4 (or 2 in older units) is split in half - rather misleading if not read carefully - believe several of my older dual chargers qualify. :mad:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.09.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.20.51 PM.png

#13 giradman, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Giradman: perhaps try a load resistor and see what current is drawn from the chargers. Probably only a few seconds would be enough to get a reasonable current reading, but note the resistors could get hot, depending on value, size and resistance.

5. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There are also plenty of these devices on Amazon as well, also at a very reasonable price, do a search for “usb load resistors”.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions above - I'll check Amazon shortly - Dave :)

7. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My iPad did not charge again last night, even though I checked it was charging by the green battery icon after I had heard the ’bong’. I plugged it in again to charge downstairs this morning, with the same charger and cable, and after an hour or so I noticed that it still was green, but with no higher percentage. I did a reset, without unplugging, and it is now charging, which eliminates the external equipment. Time to order one of the in line monitors discussed above.

Hopefully the charging problem is fixed on 11.1

8. Tweak2

Tweak2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    NSquirrel, I’ll be interested to hear what you find. I have noticed in the last few days that when I plug in my iPad, I get the bong but the little lightning symbol doesn’t come on next to the charge status. I unplug and plug in again and the lightning symbol comes on. Could be a different problem but I have not experienced any charging problem before iOS 11.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Tweak2: do you get the same response with the lightning symbol if you unplug/ plug back in the usb connector, rather than the lightning connector? This would eliminate a lightning connector or perhaps cable problem.
    I must say that I had not taken any notice of the lightning symbol, going by the ‘bong’ and the green- fill colour of the battery symbol. Shows how attentive I am! I will look more closely in future.

10. Tweak2

Tweak2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    That’s a good question but have not tried it. Of course when I just now plugged it in all worked fine. Will let you know.