Charging Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by moparherb, Oct 3, 2017.

1. moparherb

moparherb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i have a 2 year old iPad Air2 that since the iOS 11.0 update is giving me an issue. The issue may not have anything to do with the update. At night I always plug the iPad into the charger and off to bed,but first I check to make sure the charge icon is being displayed. On two or three occasions lately in the morning I only have 30-40% usable charge. In other words sometime after I go to bed things aren’t charging as they should be.Any suggestions......the charger and cord seem in good shape....I’m hoping this isn’t a battery issue. Any help appreciated.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried a different charging cable? It's possible yours has an intermittent fault that causes the iPad to stop charging. There could also be a problem with the charging port on the iPad.
    To eliminate the possibility of a faulty electrical outlet, try a different one on another circuit.

#2 scifan57, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello - I also have an iPad Air 2 (now 3 years old and will replace soon - battery is 'aging' faster than expected) - BUT, I have had the same issues as you describe, i.e. charging end is plugged into the 'lightning port' and may or may not show the charging symbol or after a while 'Not Charging' appears - as posted by SciFan.. check his suggestions - I have used 3 different chargers, including the Apple original one and all have given me intermittent problems (and will charge my wife's iPhone & iPad Mini) - so may be an issue w/ the 'lightning port' and/or the device?

As an example, I plugged my iPad into Apple's charger, initial charge symbol appeared (see first pic); but shortly showed 'Not Charging' (second pic) - leaving the charger in that mode eventually fully charged the device, likely at a lower rate. Other suggestions: 1) Make sure the contacts on the lightning plug-in are clean and bright - I've used an eraser on several tarnished contacts in the past; 2) Clean out the charging port of the iPad carefully - a toothpick is often recommended (LINK); I've also used a 'gentle' hand air bulb from my workshop (third pic) - don't use compressed air in a can or a powerful vacuum, adjacent electronics around the port could be damaged; 3) Reset the iPad, if not already done (hold both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears - then release); and 4) Make sure that your iOS is updated (a backup and restoration may also help). Check HERE for a further discussion and suggestions - let us know. Dave :)
    Port1.jpeg Port2.PNG Port3.JPG

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Some careful cleaning with a plastic floss pick is a good way to get lint out of the lightning port. One of the ones with a flimsy, flxible tip. No scraping or forcing. If there is resistance, stop.

For instance, the brush side of this pick will easily remove lint from a lightning port with little risk of damage; as long as you are gentle and patient.

467908CB-ED07-4441-81ED-8AEE450945E2.jpeg

I’ve never done this with my iPad, but I usually have to clean pocket lint out of my iPhone’s Lighting port once or twice a year.

5. moparherb

moparherb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions....sorry it took me so long to respond. I have change chargers and outlets all to no avail. Sometimes I get a 100% charge and sometimes I don’t. I will try cleaning the lightening cable end and the port on the device. One thing that seems to work is if I totally shut down the iPad....so far for three days I have gotten a full charge. It may be time for a new iPad but I was hoping to wait until Apple announced a newer version. Another possibility is that my Apple cover is getting a bit worn. So maybe it is not shutting the iPad off when it closes, meaning it is on all the time....but I doubt this is the problem.