What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air2 Not Charging iOS 11

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read multiple articles about the iPad not charging in iOS 11 but have not found a solution. It’s random, that is the problem does not occur every night. But I feel it is definitely connected to iOS 11. Both my wife and my iPads now doing this. When I plug the charging cable in I get the tone and the symbol but in the morning it has not charged. Has there been any resolution to this? I cannot find one. Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have read multiple articles about the iPad not charging in iOS 11 but have not found a solution. It’s random, that is the problem does not occur every night. But I feel it is definitely connected to iOS 11. Both my wife and my iPads now doing this. When I plug the charging cable in I get the tone and the symbol but in the morning it has not charged. Has there been any resolution to this? I cannot find one. Thanks.

Hi Tweak2 - this is not a new problem just w/ iOS 11.x - iPads (and other similar devices) have occasionally been plagued w/ 'charging issues' - as suggested already, make sure you check you chargers on other AC sources; also, try other cables and chargers - make sure your chargers are rated 10 or 12 Watts (5 Watt chargers or underpowered USB ports will not adequately power up an iPad's battery - maybe a long trickle charge). Also make sure that your charging ports are clean - see this THREAD for comments and suggestions.

I also have an Air 2 and wife a Mini iPad 4 - we each have three different chargers (all 5V x 2.4A outputs) - we are having the same experiences, i.e. plugging in the charger may produce the sound + the lightening bolt icon, but sometimes NOT w/ a 'Not Charging' message; occasionally, charging will proceed normally and then stop at 90+% w/ the 'Not Charging' sign - if the cable is left attached, my iPad has gone to 100%; often re-inserting the cable 2-3 times will bring up the charging icon. Of course, the issue may be w/ an 'aging' iDevice and its charging mechanism - would an Apple Diagnostics prove that point - do not know? Dave :)

OP
T

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I 'jumped' to the conclusion that iOS 11 is the problem because neither my wife nor I have experienced this until upgrading. We are using the same chargers, cables, outlets etc.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve had sketchy charging issues with iOS 11 on my iphone 5sand Air 2. Plug it in and come back later , and the battery has less than when I plugged it in. Unplug the cable and plug back in , good to go.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve had this issue once or twice. Cleaning out the Lighting port has solved it each time. A plastic toothpick, gently applied, removed a nice little wad of lint each time. First sign of this (when I examined them prior to cleaning) was that the Lightning plug did not seat all the way into the port, and had a slightly spongy feel when inserted.

Not to say this is always the problem. It is almost certainly not. But it’s worth checking before looking for more complicated causes.

Note: Recently I found one of my Lightning cables had some crud on it, which turned out to be corrosion. It’s hard to see, but the results were similar to lint, in that for a while charing was unreliable. Cleaning (even gently) did not help in this case. All it did was remove the corosion, along with what little conductor was left.

Lesson: Be sure you don’t leave your Lighting cables dangling where the ends might get damp and/or dirty.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting to read the above as a couple of mornings I have found my iPad on 30% charge when I had plugged it in to charge overnight. I suspected the cable, but that seems to be ok. A,so I wondered uf it hanything to do with briefly using Safari, or perhaps checking mail, once charging. (I bought an iPhone 8, well actually 2. - for my wife and myself, and wireless charging is wonderful! No careful insertion of the lightning connector. I am tempted to add it to my iPad.)

OP
T

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I cleaned out the connector slot with no residue observed. Interesting that the two times this has happened the iPad charged to 30%.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aerofly: Thanks. Very interesting device and remarkably low cost. I had thought of constructing a breakout junction to go to my multimeter, but now there is no need. I will order one from Amazon, which will no doubt cost less than buying two usb connectors.

OP
T

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aerofly: Thanks. Very interesting device and remarkably low cost. I had thought of constructing a breakout junction to go to my multimeter, but now there is no need. I will order one from Amazon, which will no doubt cost less than buying two usb connectors.

I wonder if there is a similar device that would check all the way through the lightning connector?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A very quick check found a female to male lightning extension lead on Amazon.com, which would probably do the job when attached to your device.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whenever I have problems with charging a usb device I use one of these which allows you to check the input voltage, the supply current and the time taken. Very useful device and cheap as well! P.S. check original post first page for LINK.

Amazon has a number of inexpensive devices that can measure the voltage and amperage between the charger and the iDevice - I own the one below and just tested 5 chargers that I own w/ my iPad Air 2 & wife's iPad Mini 4 - one included the original Apple charger that came w/ my iPad, i.e. a 10W (5 Volts x 2 Amps) - all chargers put out 5 V but only 1 Amp - the exception was my newest purchase (second pic) which claims to produce a total of 4.8 Amps w/ 2 devices attached, however, I measured only 1.3 Amps - SO, why doesn't the Apple charger (and the one below) measure 2A & 2.4A, respectively? Are the chargers the issue and/or my USB measuring device? Do the iDevices draw less charge when approaching 100% - likely? Should I buy another volt-amp unit?

Note that Apple recommends 10W or 12W chargers for its larger iPads (and even more wattage chargers can be used, especially for the iPad Pro) - just not sure why I'm not seeing 2A from my Apple charger and 2.4A from my newest charger below? May just buy another testing device - they are cheap on Amazon. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: A lot of these dual output chargers will state 5V x 2.4A implying that each output port puts out that amount, but in reality the 2.4 (or 2 in older units) is split in half - rather misleading if not read carefully - believe several of my older dual chargers qualify. :mad:
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.09.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.20.51 PM.png

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman: perhaps try a load resistor and see what current is drawn from the chargers. Probably only a few seconds would be enough to get a reasonable current reading, but note the resistors could get hot, depending on value, size and resistance.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman: perhaps try a load resistor and see what current is drawn from the chargers. Probably only a few seconds would be enough to get a reasonable current reading, but note the resistors could get hot, depending on value, size and resistance.

There are also plenty of these devices on Amazon as well, also at a very reasonable price, do a search for “usb load resistors”.

Most reactions

Latest posts