What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad air not recognised by iTunes

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New air...7.0.4 Not recognised by iTunes...cable alright as cable works perfectly with my iPhone 5c......Tried all usual fixes including re-install of iTunes,
changing usb port, running windows 7 with startup options turned off in msconfig.
If I boot up computer with the device attachrd it thinks it has found my iPhone....
Shows perfectly in My Computer....HELP

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! Not sure that I can help but a few questions: 1) Did iTunes ever recognize the iPad or has this been a problem from the beginning? and 2) Did you 'Reset' the iPad (i.e. press the Sleep & Home buttons simultaneously, and hold until the iDevice reboots)? Dave

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New air...7.0.4 Not recognised by iTunes...cable alright as cable works perfectly with my iPhone 5c......Tried all usual fixes including re-install of iTunes,
changing usb port, running windows 7 with startup options turned off in msconfig.
If I boot up computer with the device attachrd it thinks it has found my iPhone....
Shows perfectly in My Computer....HELP

Been like this from start (used another computer to fire it up at first...that worked fine....and as for the other two questions Yes and Yes

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a first. The issue may be similar to the iOS 7 rejection/detection of some 3rd party hardware such as cables or charging docks/cases. See if a hard reset of your iPad resolves the issue. If it was working previously, it would be aimed more towards software than hardware, especially if you can still charge the iPad through an outlet.

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad worked fine connected to another computer when it first arrived....Tried a hard reset a few times...Charges perfectly from the mains and works perfectly...Both my iPhone and the iPad are on iOS 7.0.4 and the iPhone works fine when connected by the same cable and to the same computer....I am totally baffled myself.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is on a Windows PC from the My Computer in the initial post?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Been like this from start (used another computer to fire it up at first...that worked fine....and as for the other two questions Yes and Yes

Well, I'm baffled - is the iPad still recognized by the other computer (if available)? Do you have different Apple IDs for your phone & the iPad? I'm thinking whether Computer Authorization might be an issue? Check the link - iDevices can sync w/ up to 5 'authorized' computers, so if you phone & iPad use the same Apple ID, then I still cannot understand the problem you are having w/ the recognition - but just some additional thoughts. Dave

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other computer is not available...Both use the same apple ID....checked the authorisation....says computer authorised 3 of 5

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keep the iPad plugged into your computer, and close out iTunes. Open up Device Manager and uninstall all your Universal Serial Bus drivers (USB port drivers). Restart your computer (with your iPad still connected). Upon reboot, retry and see if anything changes.

Also, if you're using a USB hub, detach the hub or extension and plug the iPad directly into the rear chassis of your computer.

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope...did all that but still the same...I could see where you were coming from and had high hopes that it muight work....damn it

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last ditch effort, create a new administrator user independent of your current user. Install a fresh copy of iTunes on that user account, and try on this new user.

If this doesn't work, then you'd probably have to try a different computer altogether, or bring it to Apple and see if it's a hardware issue.

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope...that didn't work.....Have managed to arrange to get back thecomputer that recognised it in the first place...picking it up tomorrow, so I can see if that machine is still recognising the ipad...Will let you know....

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope...that didn't work.....Have managed to arrange to get back thecomputer that recognised it in the first place...picking it up tomorrow, so I can see if that machine is still recognising the ipad...Will let you know....

Remember to check if the new iTunes install used one of your five and un-authorize it if it did to save issues in the future. Reclaim work, but should be done

OP
kendalton

kendalton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember to check if the new iTunes install used one of your five and un-authorize it if it did to save issues in the future. Reclaim work, but should be done

Right.... Found a spare hard disk drive and connected it to my desktop, loaded windoze7 and installed iTunes...recognises iPad immediately...so the problem is obviously with windoze No wonder we couldn't sort out the problem......Anyway thanx for all the help.......I shall now reinstall Windoze on my original hard drive.:eek::eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts