What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi Sync Problem

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have problems with wifi sync between my iPad Air and iTunes version 11.1.3.8. I use the PC version of iTunes. If I initiate the sync from the iPad, iTunes immediately starts the sync by displaying the message at the top of iTunes -- "looking for iPad". Then within a second or two, my iPad Air "disappears" from iTunes and the Devices section on the left side of iTunes disappears also. If I start the sync from iTunes, same thing happens. I DO have "sync this iPad with Wifi" checked in iTunes. The only way I can sync is to use a hard wire sync using the usb cable plugged into the iPad Air and into my computer. I have tried checking and unchecking "sync this iPad using wifi", re-booted the PC, restarted the iPad Air. Nothing works to get a successful wifi sync. I have the iPad Air with Verizon and 128 GB memory. This never happened with my iPad 3. Thanks for your ideas.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have problems with wifi sync between my iPad Air and iTunes version 11.1.3.8. I use the PC version of iTunes. If I initiate the sync from the iPad, iTunes immediately starts the sync by displaying the message at the top of iTunes -- "looking for iPad". Then within a second or two, my iPad Air "disappears" from iTunes and the Devices section on the left side of iTunes disappears also. If I start the sync from iTunes, same thing happens. I DO have "sync this iPad with Wifi" checked in iTunes. The only way I can sync is to use a hard wire sync using the usb cable plugged into the iPad Air and into my computer. I have tried checking and unchecking "sync this iPad using wifi", re-booted the PC, restarted the iPad Air. Nothing works to get a successful wifi sync. I have the iPad Air with Verizon and 128 GB memory. This never happened with my iPad 3. Thanks for your ideas.

First a question, is the iPad Air logged into the same account as the iTunes on the computer?

A silly question (kind of like asking if your TV is unplugged when the cable stops working) but is the iPad Air on the same wireless network as the computer?

Second, if that wasn't the problem, as a test plug your iPad Air into the charger (not the computer, but the wall charger) and see if it will sync over wifi when charging.

OP
F

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the iPad Air is logged into the same account as iTunes on the PC. Both the PC and iPad Air are on the same network. I never had this with my iPad 3.

Second, attempting the wifi sync while plugged into the charger failed. Same thing happened - I initiate the sync from the iPad Air, iTunes on the PC displays "Syncing Franks iPad - looking for iPad". Then the device section of iTunes closes down, the iPad Air disappears from iTunes and the sync fails to execute.

Thanks for your ideas though,

Frank

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In looking for possible causes I have somehow introduced the same issue, mine is a 3rd generation iPad, but I am running iOS 5.1.1 - if/when I find the answer I will post it here.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
I have had this issue with all my idevices ever since wifi sync was introduced. Once in a blue moon it will work, but usually not.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have had this issue with all my idevices ever since wifi sync was introduced. Once in a blue moon it will work, but usually not.

Me too. Never could get it to work properly so now I just use the USB cable when I sync my iPads. Not too much of a bother since I usually do it about once a month or before I take a trip, whichever comes first.

Most reactions