What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 or Microsoft surface tablet?..

IFood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running windows 8 on my hp slate, and a stylus with one note and text recognition is A1!

IFood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows 8 RT launches on the surface with pro to follow, but several manufacturers are launching slate/tablet/laptops today. My favourite is the Samsung unit as it has stylus and widi support, I do lots of presentations so am looking to get that so I can be mobile while presenting, but changing and writing with the stylus. I'm currently running beta release with my HP laptop (has flip round touchscreen) but it is a little bulky, but will switch in the next month. Finally $499 seems expensive but... you will be able to work with all your office documents (as there is a release of office), applicaitons designed for new windows 8 will work with windows 8 RT, it's just you can't run your old windows 7 programs, windows 8 pro is for that, which is on the new release of laptop/tablets etc from Dell, Asus, Acer, Leovano, Samsung, Toshiba who are now all vying to find ways to make units more adoptable.

I think Microsoft is on to something, it will be very interesting to see just how Windows 8 will fit into this new tablet. with them getting into the tablet game we will have three OS being used, Apples and Googles and now Microsoft.
Wait a minuet UPDATE!!!
I just read something in my local paper that might make me hold off buying the new Microsoft surface Tablet. First off it won't be using the full Win 8 it will use Windows RT then you won't be able to to work with files from your Windows 7 computer, you must buy a new App. from the Microsoft Store. Now just ware have I heard this before? So what we will have to buy from their store will be brand new. Next people will have to get used to the new way Microsoft is requiring people to use/buy their App's. You must now use the start not the desk top as before with all Windows OS before. also that nifty flip out cover/keyboard will cost extra, and this with a starting price of $499US. Seems I have seen this also before. IMHO Microsoft might be starting off on the wrong path. Time will surly tell.

kruzzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect analysis!
Two different animals that should not be compared.

I came from the Android side of the fence.....got frustrated with the lack of polished apps, quirky operation, slowness, and so on.
The user experience with the iPad is hands down the winner IMHO.

I'll take a few blemishes with the iPad compared to leprosy disease with Android..

I have been there too -android and i will never go back to this unpolished system

mdanehart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Ipad 4 and the Windows Surface. I am waiting until the last day to return one of these units to the retailer.
They are both excellent units and each offering something different....the Surface has an excellent hardware build and everyday the Software updates are downloaded. The Ipad 4 is an excellent device and simple to use, but just boring, but always dependable.

The camera on the Widows is subpar compared to the 4.
The speaker audio, although stereo is nowhere as loud as the 4.
Both have excellent build.
Both have excellent battery life.
App selection limited for the moment on the Surface.
Loading time of apps about a second slower on the Surface and about everything else the same time frame, no deal breaker..

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect analysis!
Two different animals that should not be compared.

I came from the Android side of the fence.....got frustrated with the lack of polished apps, quirky operation, slowness, and so on.
The user experience with the iPad is hands down the winner IMHO.

I'll take a few blemishes with the iPad compared to leprosy disease with Android..
Perhaps this is the wrong place to argue about this, but with Jelly Bean, Android nowadays is a strong competitor in the mobile market. And precisely because of the user experience. Not to mention the opennes and connectivity.

But Surface is not quite what it seems to be. The storage in the device is taken pretty much (nearly 50% of it) by the OS and the OS is different from the W8 in desktop machines. So the integration won't be what it could be. So between these two, I'd take the iPad. But overall, if I were planning to buy a tablet, it would be an Android device.

Now you can nail me. :eek:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Surface is not quite what it seems to be. The storage in the device is taken pretty much (nearly 50% of it) by the OS and the OS is different from the W8 in desktop machines. So the integration won't be what it could be.

I'm waiting for Surface pro to debut, to see whether I'll buy, and all the info that you mentioned seemed clear to me from reading about Surface even in a cursory way. I just read that there's a lawsuit over the amount of storage left after the OS, too, lol.

I figure buyers who buy any product without a clue are the prob. With so much info readily available online, and a return period at any legit business, it seems like a straightforward thing to read up, buy and return something if it doesn't work out.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is one good and bad thing going for the Windows RT tablets. They will be the most hackable devices ever made. As Kaykaykay mentioned MS is already looking at a serious lawsuit due to the perceived misrepresentation of the actual end user storage. The loss of storage is due to the OS being in that memory space. This exposes the machine to multiple vectors of attack to the OS. And if you thought Android was bad because it needed virus protection, OH JUST WAIT for the virus programs that Windows RT will need in less than 6 months after the hackers figure out how vulnerable the tablets are.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is one good and bad thing going for the Windows RT tablets. They will be the most hackable devices ever made. As Kaykaykay mentioned MS is already looking at a serious lawsuit due to the perceived misrepresentation of the actual end user storage. The loss of storage is due to the OS being in that memory space. This exposes the machine to multiple vectors of attack to the OS. And if you thought Android was bad because it needed virus protection, OH JUST WAIT for the virus programs that Windows RT will need in less than 6 months after the hackers figure out how vulnerable the tablets are.

I think MS might celebrate if they sell enough Surfaces to make hacking them worthwhile, lol. Right now, it's not clear to me that that will be the case.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think MS might celebrate if they sell enough Surfaces to make hacking them worthwhile, lol. Right now, it's not clear to me that that will be the case.

Sony thought the same exact thing with the PSP. And the hackers flocked to it. Then two to three years later the major software developers stopped developing for the PSP because of those hackers. That started a very slow spiral death for the PSP. The Vita was Sony's attempt to bring back those developers. It hasn't worked because the damage was already done.

Apple's "Walled Garden" is the only reason it has out survived all of its cousins in the business. The only two siblings (direct competitors) will be Android and MS going forward now. If the Xbox 360 is any indication with the protection that MS can provide, I don't have any hope at all for Windows RT being secured.

And yes I realize that Apple isn't immune to these issues. But their protection is getting better with every single release of hardware and iOS. Soon it will be too cost or time prohibitive for the hacker community to jailbreak Apple devices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sony thought the same exact thing with the PSP. And the hackers flocked to it. Then two to three years later the major software developers stopped developing for the PSP because of those hackers. That started a very slow spiral death for the PSP. The Vita was Sony's attempt to bring back those developers. It hasn't worked because the damage was already done.

Apple's "Walled Garden" is the only reason it has out survived all of its cousins in the business. The only two siblings (direct competitors) will be Android and MS going forward now. If the Xbox 360 is any indication with the protection that MS can provide, I don't have any hope at all for Windows RT being secured.

And yes I realize that Apple isn't immune to these issues. But their protection is getting better with every single release of hardware and iOS. Soon it will be too cost or time prohibitive for the hacker community to jailbreak Apple devices.

The differentiator with hacking a PSP might be the demographic. A lot of PSP hacking, from what I understand, is done so people can use pirated software, rather than hacking to get into others' systems. Understandable why developers wouldn't want to develop for a platform or device if most users end up stealing, rather than buying, your apps.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The differentiator with hacking a PSP might be the demographic. A lot of PSP hacking, from what I understand, is done so people can use pirated software, rather than hacking to get into others' systems. Understandable why developers wouldn't want to develop for a platform or device if most users end up stealing, rather than buying, your apps.

And you don't think that MS won't have the same exact issue? iOS already has the issue. But Apple mitigated it with a very interesting approach. They didn't release the initial iOS products in countries with high piracy rates until the iOS community became very well established. MS can't afford to do that. They need rapid adoption and that means an uncontrolled release to the masses. Heck just look at what Android is still dealing with on this issue. And unsuccessfully I might add. In fact what is really interesting about Android is, there is theft of service from multiple directions right now. Android users can simply root their device and then block all Ads. That leaves them free to download the ad-ware versions of apps legally but without having to deal with those Ads. Now some apps try to detect this condition and then shut down but when enough people complain that "Airplane mode" isn't working then they have to decided which is more important. The legit users or protecting their Ad revenue stream. Google really didn't do app developers any favors with Android. Which is why iOS is still king for making money.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And you don't think that MS won't have the same exact issue? iOS already has the issue. But Apple mitigated it with a very interesting approach. They didn't release the initial iOS products in countries with high piracy rates until the iOS community became very well established. MS can't afford to do that. They need rapid adoption and that means an uncontrolled release to the masses. Heck just look at what Android is still dealing with on this issue. And unsuccessfully I might add. In fact what is really interesting about Android is, there is theft of service from multiple directions right now. Android users can simply root their device and then block all Ads. That leaves them free to download the ad-ware versions of apps legally but without having to deal with those Ads. Now some apps try to detect this condition and then shut down but when enough people complain that "Airplane mode" isn't working then they have to decided which is more important. The legit users or protecting their Ad revenue stream. Google really didn't do app developers any favors with Android. Which is why iOS is still king for making money.

Depends on the demographic, I figure. If biz clients end up being a big buyer of Surfaces, as opposed to gamers, for instance, diff demographic, diff spending (or pirating) patterns. From my experience in dealing with legit companies, they buy, rather than steal their software, lol. Like I said, though, that remains to be seen.

At this point, I'm not seeing enough about Surface sales to know that, and I doubt even MS will know till after pro version sales start.

Most reactions

Latest posts