What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 or Microsoft surface tablet?..

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which do you think will be the best?..
For me.. Still the ipad.. It will always be the best!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best is subjective. Depends on the buyer.

Me, I skipped iPad 3 because I'm still happy with iPad 1 and 2, but I'm considering buying a Surface. I'll see how it does on the market and wait for the full Wndows version, which is expected next quarter.

OP
kulit_12

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the surface will work like a desktop, maybe i will buy one.. With a full functions of flash player..

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's hard to formulate an opinion on something that isn't even out yet. Until Surface is out any opinion is going to be speculative to say the least.

However if Surface can run Windows based software like its desktop/laptop counterparts than it will be a serious contender for Apple.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this article interesting, because of the design production info, not necessarily because of Surface being good or bad, which I've yet to find out about:

The Tao of Surface: Inside Microsoft’s First Tablet - SlashGear

Thanks Kaykaykay, for the informative attachment, more thorough and definitive than the early speculative comments and videos put out.

Certainly upped the question of competition against the iPad with built-in stand, detachable keyboard, real usable stylus facility, gorilla glass etc.

And I think now giving a greater choice dilemma for many people. To wait for the Surface Pro version (which would be my choice too) with Windows8,, USB access and twice the storage capacity? Or use the relatively new iPad3 and wait until Apple brings out an upgraded version that may very well trump the features/desirability of the Surface tablet? The battle for market share is going to be fierce. Like, whoever said, "we live in interesting times"

Myself, I'm going to now pray hard that my old clunker desktop running Windows7 Professional is going to pack it in or develop a non-recoverable virus:mad:so that I can choose to go all portable. Again, thanks!
All the best, Andrew

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Whatever, it'll be a hardware choice. There is no remote competition for Apple with it's App Store and iTunes store, and dont forget, Flash is a dying dinosaur.

Like MS's new tablet, i'd LOVE to see and iPad smart case with a built in keyboard !

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hardware is dead without software. Windows RT devices only run a special version of office and apps designed just for Windows RT. As there are very very few RT apps, this is basically a special machine for running office. You won't be able to load your old windows software or any free/shareware for windows. Very special purpose device. Definitely NOT a competitor to the iPad (even though it is priced to be competitive with iPad). They should not be compared (IMO) as they are going to be very different experiences. How many home users want to run only office?

The surface pro will run win 8. Thus, you can run all windows software. This will be an ultra book. It is a more interesting device than the MS Office machine. These will cost a lot more, too.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw the surface commercial last night...I have to say, it did look interesting!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This gives a good overview of RT vs. pro model:

What Windows RT Can't Do

For me, an RT model might do if Surface sells well enough to stay on the market. The key apps I use are already available. (My main tablet uses are books, audiobooks, movies, email, web and productivity apps. Don't care about games, Twitter or Facebook.) But I'd rather have the full Windows version. So I'm going to hold off and see. With a full Windows version, I might be able to skip using a netbook or laptop more often.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this article interesting, because of the design production info, not necessarily because of Surface being good or bad, which I've yet to find out about:

The Tao of Surface: Inside Microsoft’s First Tablet - SlashGear

I think Microsoft is on to something, it will be very interesting to see just how Windows 8 will fit into this new tablet. with them getting into the tablet game we will have three OS being used, Apples and Googles and now Microsoft.
Wait a minuet UPDATE!!!
I just read something in my local paper that might make me hold off buying the new Microsoft surface Tablet. First off it won't be using the full Win 8 it will use Windows RT then you won't be able to to work with files from your Windows 7 computer, you must buy a new App. from the Microsoft Store. Now just ware have I heard this before? So what we will have to buy from their store will be brand new. Next people will have to get used to the new way Microsoft is requiring people to use/buy their App's. You must now use the start not the desk top as before with all Windows OS before. also that nifty flip out cover/keyboard will cost extra, and this with a starting price of $499US. Seems I have seen this also before. IMHO Microsoft might be starting off on the wrong path. Time will surly tell.

Last edited:

Mark1478

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm def looking into it myself. I'm returning to school changing my career and I wish the ipad had a pressure sensitive stylus with a fine point a palm rejection. Many of my lectures have PDF form power points and would love to be able to replace all my paper with just one tablet. Supposedly the surface will have this as well as working forms of office :)

gkinghrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sHmily963 said:
The user experience is very important.This is the reason why we all like apple.

Personally I find some of the user experience on Apple to be annoying not to mention their lack of bullying other firms and their attempts to stop other vendors selling competing products like Samsung...

Good kit sure but such a closed environment it actually removes from the pleasure we could have ....

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hardware is dead without software. Windows RT devices only run a special version of office and apps designed just for Windows RT. As there are very very few RT apps, this is basically a special machine for running office. You won't be able to load your old windows software or any free/shareware for windows. Very special purpose device. Definitely NOT a competitor to the iPad (even though it is priced to be competitive with iPad). They should not be compared (IMO) as they are going to be very different experiences. How many home users want to run only office?

The surface pro will run win 8. Thus, you can run all windows software. This will be an ultra book. It is a more interesting device than the MS Office machine. These will cost a lot more, too.

Perfect analysis!
Two different animals that should not be compared.

Personally I find some of the user experience on Apple to be annoying not to mention their lack of bullying other firms and their attempts to stop other vendors selling competing products like Samsung...

Good kit sure but such a closed environment it actually removes from the pleasure we could have ....

I came from the Android side of the fence.....got frustrated with the lack of polished apps, quirky operation, slowness, and so on.
The user experience with the iPad is hands down the winner IMHO.

I'll take a few blemishes with the iPad compared to leprosy disease with Android..

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts