Ipad 3 or Microsoft surface tablet?..

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by kulit_12, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kulit_12

kulit_12
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Which do you think will be the best?..
    For me.. Still the ipad.. It will always be the best!

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Best is subjective. Depends on the buyer.

Me, I skipped iPad 3 because I'm still happy with iPad 1 and 2, but I'm considering buying a Surface. I'll see how it does on the market and wait for the full Wndows version, which is expected next quarter.

3. kulit_12

kulit_12
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If the surface will work like a desktop, maybe i will buy one.. With a full functions of flash player..

4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
  5. iJamesH

iJamesH
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to formulate an opinion on something that isn't even out yet. Until Surface is out any opinion is going to be speculative to say the least.

However if Surface can run Windows based software like its desktop/laptop counterparts than it will be a serious contender for Apple.

6. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Kaykaykay, for the informative attachment, more thorough and definitive than the early speculative comments and videos put out.

Certainly upped the question of competition against the iPad with built-in stand, detachable keyboard, real usable stylus facility, gorilla glass etc.

And I think now giving a greater choice dilemma for many people. To wait for the Surface Pro version (which would be my choice too) with Windows8,, USB access and twice the storage capacity? Or use the relatively new iPad3 and wait until Apple brings out an upgraded version that may very well trump the features/desirability of the Surface tablet? The battle for market share is going to be fierce. Like, whoever said, "we live in interesting times"

Myself, I'm going to now pray hard that my old clunker desktop running Windows7 Professional is going to pack it in or develop a non-recoverable virus:mad:so that I can choose to go all portable. Again, thanks!
    All the best, Andrew

#6 The OB, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Whatever, it'll be a hardware choice. There is no remote competition for Apple with it's App Store and iTunes store, and dont forget, Flash is a dying dinosaur.

Like MS's new tablet, i'd LOVE to see and iPad smart case with a built in keyboard !

8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hardware is dead without software. Windows RT devices only run a special version of office and apps designed just for Windows RT. As there are very very few RT apps, this is basically a special machine for running office. You won't be able to load your old windows software or any free/shareware for windows. Very special purpose device. Definitely NOT a competitor to the iPad (even though it is priced to be competitive with iPad). They should not be compared (IMO) as they are going to be very different experiences. How many home users want to run only office?

The surface pro will run win 8. Thus, you can run all windows software. This will be an ultra book. It is a more interesting device than the MS Office machine. These will cost a lot more, too.

9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just saw the surface commercial last night...I have to say, it did look interesting!

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    This gives a good overview of RT vs. pro model:

What Windows RT Can't Do

For me, an RT model might do if Surface sells well enough to stay on the market. The key apps I use are already available. (My main tablet uses are books, audiobooks, movies, email, web and productivity apps. Don't care about games, Twitter or Facebook.) But I'd rather have the full Windows version. So I'm going to hold off and see. With a full Windows version, I might be able to skip using a netbook or laptop more often.