1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad 3 or Microsoft surface tablet?..

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by kulit_12, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kulit_12

kulit_12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which do you think will be the best?..
    For me.. Still the ipad.. It will always be the best!
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Best is subjective. Depends on the buyer.

Me, I skipped iPad 3 because I'm still happy with iPad 1 and 2, but I'm considering buying a Surface. I'll see how it does on the market and wait for the full Wndows version, which is expected next quarter.
  3. kulit_12

kulit_12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the surface will work like a desktop, maybe i will buy one.. With a full functions of flash player..
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
  5. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    It's hard to formulate an opinion on something that isn't even out yet. Until Surface is out any opinion is going to be speculative to say the least.

However if Surface can run Windows based software like its desktop/laptop counterparts than it will be a serious contender for Apple.
  6. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +860 / 1
    Thanks Kaykaykay, for the informative attachment, more thorough and definitive than the early speculative comments and videos put out.

Certainly upped the question of competition against the iPad with built-in stand, detachable keyboard, real usable stylus facility, gorilla glass etc.

And I think now giving a greater choice dilemma for many people. To wait for the Surface Pro version (which would be my choice too) with Windows8,, USB access and twice the storage capacity? Or use the relatively new iPad3 and wait until Apple brings out an upgraded version that may very well trump the features/desirability of the Surface tablet? The battle for market share is going to be fierce. Like, whoever said, "we live in interesting times"

Myself, I'm going to now pray hard that my old clunker desktop running Windows7 Professional is going to pack it in or develop a non-recoverable virus:mad:so that I can choose to go all portable. Again, thanks!
    All the best, Andrew
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Whatever, it'll be a hardware choice. There is no remote competition for Apple with it's App Store and iTunes store, and dont forget, Flash is a dying dinosaur.

Like MS's new tablet, i'd LOVE to see and iPad smart case with a built in keyboard !
  8. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Hardware is dead without software. Windows RT devices only run a special version of office and apps designed just for Windows RT. As there are very very few RT apps, this is basically a special machine for running office. You won't be able to load your old windows software or any free/shareware for windows. Very special purpose device. Definitely NOT a competitor to the iPad (even though it is priced to be competitive with iPad). They should not be compared (IMO) as they are going to be very different experiences. How many home users want to run only office?

The surface pro will run win 8. Thus, you can run all windows software. This will be an ultra book. It is a more interesting device than the MS Office machine. These will cost a lot more, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,027 / 0
    Just saw the surface commercial last night...I have to say, it did look interesting!
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    This gives a good overview of RT vs. pro model:

What Windows RT Can't Do

For me, an RT model might do if Surface sells well enough to stay on the market. The key apps I use are already available. (My main tablet uses are books, audiobooks, movies, email, web and productivity apps. Don't care about games, Twitter or Facebook.) But I'd rather have the full Windows version. So I'm going to hold off and see. With a full Windows version, I might be able to skip using a netbook or laptop more often.
  11. ipadder474

ipadder474 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I think Microsoft is on to something, it will be very interesting to see just how Windows 8 will fit into this new tablet. with them getting into the tablet game we will have three OS being used, Apples and Googles and now Microsoft.
    Wait a minuet UPDATE!!!
    I just read something in my local paper that might make me hold off buying the new Microsoft surface Tablet. First off it won't be using the full Win 8 it will use Windows RT then you won't be able to to work with files from your Windows 7 computer, you must buy a new App. from the Microsoft Store. Now just ware have I heard this before? So what we will have to buy from their store will be brand new. Next people will have to get used to the new way Microsoft is requiring people to use/buy their App's. You must now use the start not the desk top as before with all Windows OS before. also that nifty flip out cover/keyboard will cost extra, and this with a starting price of $499US. Seems I have seen this also before. IMHO Microsoft might be starting off on the wrong path. Time will surly tell.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. sHmily963

sHmily963 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The user experience is very important.This is the reason why we all like apple.
  13. Mark1478

Mark1478 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm def looking into it myself. I'm returning to school changing my career and I wish the ipad had a pressure sensitive stylus with a fine point a palm rejection. Many of my lectures have PDF form power points and would love to be able to replace all my paper with just one tablet. Supposedly the surface will have this as well as working forms of office :)
  14. gkinghrn

gkinghrn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Personally I find some of the user experience on Apple to be annoying not to mention their lack of bullying other firms and their attempts to stop other vendors selling competing products like Samsung...

Good kit sure but such a closed environment it actually removes from the pleasure we could have ....
  15. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Perfect analysis!
    Two different animals that should not be compared.

I came from the Android side of the fence.....got frustrated with the lack of polished apps, quirky operation, slowness, and so on.
    The user experience with the iPad is hands down the winner IMHO.

I'll take a few blemishes with the iPad compared to leprosy disease with Android..
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  16. IFood

IFood iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm running windows 8 on my hp slate, and a stylus with one note and text recognition is A1!
  17. IFood

IFood iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Windows 8 RT launches on the surface with pro to follow, but several manufacturers are launching slate/tablet/laptops today. My favourite is the Samsung unit as it has stylus and widi support, I do lots of presentations so am looking to get that so I can be mobile while presenting, but changing and writing with the stylus. I'm currently running beta release with my HP laptop (has flip round touchscreen) but it is a little bulky, but will switch in the next month. Finally $499 seems expensive but... you will be able to work with all your office documents (as there is a release of office), applicaitons designed for new windows 8 will work with windows 8 RT, it's just you can't run your old windows 7 programs, windows 8 pro is for that, which is on the new release of laptop/tablets etc from Dell, Asus, Acer, Leovano, Samsung, Toshiba who are now all vying to find ways to make units more adoptable.

18. kruzzz

kruzzz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been there too -android and i will never go back to this unpolished system
  19. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0

:thumbs:
  20. mdanehart

mdanehart iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the Ipad 4 and the Windows Surface. I am waiting until the last day to return one of these units to the retailer.
    They are both excellent units and each offering something different....the Surface has an excellent hardware build and everyday the Software updates are downloaded. The Ipad 4 is an excellent device and simple to use, but just boring, but always dependable.

The camera on the Widows is subpar compared to the 4.
    The speaker audio, although stereo is nowhere as loud as the 4.
    Both have excellent build.
    Both have excellent battery life.
    App selection limited for the moment on the Surface.
    Loading time of apps about a second slower on the Surface and about everything else the same time frame, no deal breaker..