Ipad 2 vs Ipad 3

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Makinnard, Mar 24, 2012.

1. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mike please let's keep this discussion on the right track repeating posts is really a waste of time. Yes some users have issues Majority do not.

2. zorah

zorah
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    if people have the money, they can just get the latest one or they'll likely keep questioning themselves. If you want to save the current US $100 for a brand new iPad 2 or even more on a refurb, it's not like the 2 is anything shabby. I may eventually get the 3 when the 4 is being released, but I got the 1 about 7 months into the game so didn't upgrade to a 2 until a month ago, knowing full well the 3 was coming out, and I could have opted for it and while I think the retina screen is beautiful, in my case not a game changer, though no argument that is IS a darn nice display the 3 has. My 2 may be an upgrade for me, but I also still have the 1 which is nothing shabby either and remains more than quite well liked by me. For me, the 3 isn't going to do anything hugely more than the 2-it would be the same difference for me so I enjoy my brand new 2.It wasn't about the money, just practicality, and the slimmer profile makes it even easier to tote to meetings.

3. Amp1216

Amp1216
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Every body tries to find some thing wrong when a new product comes out

4. gresh14

gresh14
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Nobody knows for sure if there is a problem with them getting warmer or not, but heating up,is a big problem for many other electronics, so makes sense to,at least be opened minded about the possibility of a possible problem. Only time will,tell what the "extra" heat will do,or not do. Maybe they will be perfectly fine maybe not.

5. beesknees

beesknees
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Since the iPad is still so new it is hard to say whether a 3 will have a substantially longer service life than a 2. It will have a better resale value down the road but that may not be important to you.

I doubt you will go wrong with either one of them. I own a 2 and a 3 and I have no immediate plans to upgrade the 2.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    People need to realize that the iPad 3 is not the iPad 2. Thus, it has totally different characteristics. If it is operating within design constraints (as Apple said it is), it's not "heating up" at 116 degrees. There is no need to create worry in the minds of people over an issue like this. If the device went into a self-induced shutdown due to heat, then that is a totally different matter altogether.

Computer chips are not people, they can withstand much higher temps than what people preceive as "hot". Intel CPUs can easily withstand close to 100 deg C before they even shutdown due to reaching thermal limits. That is hot enough to boil water.

7. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just want to point out that no one has been able to replicate the consumer reports reported high temperature of 116 deg F, possibly they may have run the test in a 'hot room' to report temperatures that high. They have also reported the iPad2 temperature at 103 degrees, and no one gets that regularly. However the difference is consistent with other sites - most reporting that the new iPad 3 does get about 10 degrees hotter than the iPad2 in identical running conditions.

As you say - this is likely accounted for in the design of the device and I don't think anyone needs to worry as apple knew going in that they needed to make this device reliable, since if they end up failing due to heat apple will have a huge problem on it's hands considering how many of these things will be sold.

8. seneca18

seneca18
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, different hardware will have different tolerances to heat. Also, like others have said the reports have been their iPad's getting warmer than they were used to in their iPad 2. They were not blazing hot to the point you could not even pick it up. Electronics produce heat and that is just the way it is.

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I did a test on my own tablet and posted the results in a sub forum here. Putting the screen on 100% brightness for 26 minutes in a room at 81 deg got the back of my iPad to 111 deg F.

10. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ok....don't see how to edit a post with this app....but it was 111 deg F in 34 minutes.