What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air or iPad mini?

kennethwty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am kind of new to iPad, and now I am considering about buying one for college.
What confused me most is that I am not sure which one I should buy and how many GB I should get.
My targets are as follow:
- iPad Air 16/32GB
- iPad mini 16GB (1st Generation)

FIY: For the iPad mini, I am not going to get the new one because it is sort of expensive, and with that price I would definitely go for an iPad air.

So the following is how I plan to use the iPad:
1) I plan to transfer about 100 eBooks from my PC to the iPad (or should I put them into the cloud?)
2) I download a fair amount of apps, usually less than twenty (no huge games I'd say)
3) I take pictures and sometimes videos, and I usually put them to my PC when space is going down
4) I will put about 80 to 100 songs to the iPad, but since I have a 16GB iphone, I guess this will not be a huge problem.

So should I get an iPad air? mini 1st gen?
16GB or 32GB?

Thanks a lot!

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For your needs, I say 32 GB mini and if you plan to read a lot, shell out the money for retina. I have a 1st gen mini and it's ok for reading but I notice the pixels. It's also about the same size/weight as a standard paperback.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I concur: 32 GB is the sweet spot, and retina is well worth having for text display, as well as making your photos look fabulous. Now, that still leaves you with a choice of new Mini or new Air. You'll need to visit a store and fondle both in person to make that decision. IMHO, unless it needs to fit into a large pocket, the Air is the way to go.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend the iPad mini retina over the Air. I am very partial to the iPad mini though because it's just so light and so easy to hold. But you're saying the iPad mini with Retina is too expensive. Well think about this. If you get the iPad Air, you could be getting a 32gb mini. Trust me when I say 16gb goes fast on an iPad. Don't get the original iPad mini. You sound like a reader and you'll appreciate the retina screen. It really does help text look amazing and makes reading on it a more enjoyable experience. iPad air and mini retina are both premium tablets.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every mini 2 is 100$ less than the same model of the Air. I would take the first gen mini off the list for a serious reader, which is who you are. The nexus 2013 might be a better choice is funds are tight, though I do think that overall the mini 2 is what you want. And there is nothing wrong with the Air if you want a larger screen (other than 100$ extra in price).

OP
K

kennethwty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I concur: 32 GB is the sweet spot, and retina is well worth having for text display, as well as making your photos look fabulous. Now, that still leaves you with a choice of new Mini or new Air. You'll need to visit a store and fondle both in person to make that decision. IMHO, unless it needs to fit into a large pocket, the Air is the way to go.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

I guess I am going to get an iPad Air this black friday because some stores provide $100 gift cards when you buy the Air. You recommend 32GB. Is it better to use the cloud more in stead of getting a 32GB?

I am not familiar with cloud, but I was told that I should put all the books and photos on the cloud to free up space. What do you think? Still go for 32GB?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely go for 32, iCloud or not.

I agree. 32gb plus the cloud will give you plenty of storage options and space. I also agree with the Air as your choice. The larger screen and retina display will be great for reading.

Most reactions