What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 vs Ipad 3

Makinnard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I was going to to get a Ipad this weekend but I'm not sure I'd I should get an ipad 2 or just get a ipad 3. I planing playing games
And just to use it for college in the fall. I not in to taking pictures with it as I have a phone that does that lol

Any suggestions

Thanks magnum

backudog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As theres not much difference in the price, i'd go for the Ipad 3, once games developers start making games specifically for it and not just upping ipad 2 games it'll really kick @55!

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My personal opinion you can get a refurbished iPad 2 in a larger size for LESS than the iPad 3. I was just at the Verizon store & I was comparing the 2 vs 3 (the sales guy pulled out an iPad 2 so I can compare). For the life of me I could NOT see that much of a difference between the 2 screens. Text was a little bit better but movies didn't look any better. If you were going to be using the iPad primarily as an eReader then I'd say get the 3...I do understand the developers still need to write apps for the new screen so maybe you will eventually see a major difference. But by the time you get enough apps to take advantage of the new screen we'll be talking about the iPad 4 (the NEW New iPad!)...PLUS there is the heat issue with the iPad 3 and I've been reading there are issues with wifi too...........I know I'll get slammed for this post but this is my observation just about an hour ago. And to be quite frank, the next iPad will be totally WITHOUT Steve Jobs...if this one is having the issues it's having I'd be concerned with the next one. As much as I am an Android & Windows guy, Jobs new how to minimize major issues and take care of any issues that did arise.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...PLUS there is the heat issue with the iPad 3 and I've been reading there are issues with wifi too...........I know I'll get slammed for this post but this is my observation just about an hour ago.

You are correct, I do have to slam the post... it's not an observation unless you have done temperature measurements comparing a bunch of them, and how many locations did you try wifi where the ipad 2 would connect but you could not get a signal with the iPad3?

Running warmer is not a 'heat issue'. Wifi is not even consistently reported. Right now these are just rumors being spread around and stated as fact.

BTW: You are also correct about there not being a difference between the screens if you hold both tablets at more than 2.5 feet away from your eyes - but while many people compare them at that distance at the store, few people hold their tablets at that distance in day to day use.

So my personal opinion is that there being no issues with the iPad 3, why would someone not want to get the 3? unless the $100 difference will make a huge difference to your personal wealth.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I agree.

The iPad 3 is better than the 2 whatever. It's all a question of costs. As mentioned, more and more apps will start utilising the retina dilly as standard. And if the extra wonga isn't going to bankrupt you then go for the new model.

Saying that, ipad2 is still, and will remain for many a year, a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are correct, I do have to slam the post... it's not an observation unless you have done temperature measurements comparing a bunch of them, and how many locations did you try wifi where the ipad 2 would connect but you could not get a signal with the iPad3?

Running warmer is not a 'heat issue'. Wifi is not even consistently reported. Right now these are just rumors being spread around and stated as fact.

BTW: You are also correct about there not being a difference between the screens if you hold both tablets at more than 2.5 feet away from your eyes - but while many people compare them at that distance at the store, few people hold their tablets at that distance in day to day use.

So my personal opinion is that there being no issues with the iPad 3, why would someone not want to get the 3? unless the $100 difference will make a huge difference to your personal wealth.

To each his own but Apple OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED that there IS a heat problem...it's within ACCEPTABLE levels but the temp is 95 degrees (approx). I don't spread gossip...the article is posted on this site as well as was on FOX News as well as ABC News. Comparing the 2 models I had the 3 felt MUCH warmer than the 2. As for the WIFI issue...AGAIN I'm only reporting what was POSTED HERE on this site! So your "personal opinion" is only based on ONE ipad 3 while my opinion is based on official reports.

EDITED:

Here's the issues:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/318938/20120324/apple-s-new-ipad-3-heating-wifi.htm

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To each his own but Apple OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED that there IS a heat problem...it's within ACCEPTABLE levels but the temp is 95 degrees (approx). I don't spread gossip...the article is posted on this site as well as was on FOX News as well as ABC News. Comparing the 2 models I had the 3 felt MUCH warmer than the 2. As for the WIFI issue...AGAIN I'm only reporting what was POSTED HERE on this site! So your "personal opinion" is only based on ONE ipad 3 while my opinion is based on official reports.

So if Apple officially announced that the heat is within acceptable levels then what they have announced is that 'there is NOT a heat problem' - everything is operating as expected. I don't understand why people would interpret that as an announcement of a problem?
It's been shown that other android tablets also run at 97 def F in head to head comparisons - so again - it's just NOT an issue.

BTW: 95 def F is cooler than my room temperature gets during the summer - and that is not an exaggeration.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if Apple officially announced that the heat is within acceptable levels then what they have announced is that 'there is NOT a heat problem' - everything is operating as expected. I don't understand why people would interpret that as an announcement of a problem?
It's been shown that other android tablets also run at 97 def F in head to head comparisons - so again - it's just NOT an issue.

BTW: 95 def F is cooler than my room temperature gets during the summer - and that is not an exaggeration.

For electronics 95 is considered warmer than you would like. You don't know the long term effects heat will have on the parts...processors burn out, the retna display could go haywire...Keep the temp in the low 80's is more comfortable. Here's an example: I have 2 Android tablets that I have rooted & install various ROMS on. Many of the ROMS allow you to overclock the processor. If you overclock too much you make the system unstable because of the heat it generates. So you have to back off a bit on the clock speed. When overclocked I don't let the temp go above 85...for MY TABLETS that seems to be the magic number. YMMV

Android tablets DO vary in temps...but AGAIN it was REPORTED that the new iPad is 10 degrees WARMER than it's competition Which would have to be Android. I don't understand why you're getting all riled up when the facts are reported right here. I am only reporting that news. You can believe what you want. Your iPad seems to be fine...if I were you I would wonder why some are having problems as well. But electronics are funny. There could be a bad batch or 2 and the rest are fine. All I know is what I observed was similar to the reports here. Relax..You have an iPad you're happy with...enjoy!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikespe said:

EDITED:

Here's the issues:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/318938/20120324/apple-s-new-ipad-3-heating-wifi.htm

Apple does NOT say there is a heat issue. Re-read the article. Wifi works great. Apps are getting fatter. Charging is slower, and the device can get warmer.

Mikeyyy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi , I was sceptical at first so went along to my local apple store to investigate this new iPad. I chatted to one salesman who said If I held up my ipad2 against the new one he would show me the difference !
It was truly amazing. Sharp, crisp ,colour was much much deeper. Text easier on the eye to read .but most of all pics taken through the device and iPhoto were amazingly professional. Sharp , clear colorful images. The whole HD Screen is just die for !
My prob Is I want one now but have only had my ipad2 for 6 months, loving it too. I have decided to skip this third generation until a later one arrives ! The iPad 4 or Maybe ipad5 .
I also have an iPad one and it would be lovely to upgrade to each new ones , but a pricey thing to keep up to (
I still want the new one even after all I've said above haha ! Spoilt

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple does NOT say there is a heat issue. Re-read the article. Wifi works great. Apps are getting fatter. Charging is slower, and the device can get warmer.

Apple DID say they are warmer. It WAS on the NEWS this past week. I never said that was in the article I posted. That was just to show the reports. Here is where they say it's "within acceptable levels (http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...ment-addresses-talk-new-ipad-running-hot.html ) AGAIN as I said...in the 90's is getting toward the TOP END where you really DON'T want to be. Even another member says that in this post.

Here is the WIFI complaints: http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...d-users-complaining-poor-wi-fi-reception.html Again...I am sorry you guys are offended by my posts but until someone can post to the contrary with FACTS like I have then I have reported the truth.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikespe said:
Apple DID say they are warmer. It WAS on the NEWS this past week. I never said that was in the article I posted. That was just to show the reports. Here is where they say it's "within acceptable levels (http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/68911-apple-statement-addresses-talk-new-ipad-running-hot.html ) AGAIN as I said...in the 90's is getting toward the TOP END where you really DON'T want to be. Even another member says that in this post.

Here is the WIFI complaints: http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/69092-some-new-ipad-users-complaining-poor-wi-fi-reception.html Again...I am sorry you guys are offended by my posts but until someone can post to the contrary with FACTS like I have then I have reported the truth.

Warmer is NOT saying there is an issue. It operates within limits. It does not matter if it is towards the upper end, that is NOT an issue because it is STILL within limits.

You are not quoting facts when do don't understand or twist what they are saying. And whatever wifi problems are being reported are not wide spread or universal.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Warmer is NOT saying there is an issue. It operates within limits. It does not matter if it is towards the upper end, that is NOT an issue because it is STILL within limits.

You are not quoting facts when do don't understand or twist what they are saying. And whatever wifi problems are being reported are not wide spread or universal.

LOL....I'm not twisting anything. Do you even understand electronics hardware & the effects heat has on it? Google is your friend. If one year from now the heat did not damage to the new iPads then I'm wrong. Over time will be the true test...go to the Nvidia forums, Intel or AMD forums...heat is discussed at an extreme level. When there is no cooling system (Fan) 95 degrees is close to detrimental. I hope I'm wrong. You boys/Ladies (sorry I don't know which...not trying to be funny) enjoy your iPad 3's...

Oh and then you may want to tell the mods that those threads I posted were not true so they can remove them ;-)

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
God who cares if it gets warmer people, we all know it's in the limits and fine, it's holdable and if not, suck it up cause you're wrong. Great tablet, get em while their hot!(joke)

Most reactions

Latest posts