What's new
Apple iPad Forum ๐ŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Users In The UK

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Okay, grandma back! ๎”

Yes, I need to get rid of stuff, so here's the problem, what can I get rid of, what is needed, what is important? Do you see where I'm going here!

Sigh! I need a technician who is apple orientated and all the school guys are PC so they just palm me off with c..p about Windows being wonderful! Who blooming cares! I want to go Apple!

I'm scared to go back to the beginning and wipe pc. All my iTunes is on external hard drive.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

I cannot help with Apple orientated comments.

Of course, the obvious is have you deleted duplicates? There are some pretty good utility programmes around which will check drives for duplicates and recommend what can be deleted. It's a long job, but well worth the effort.

Photos take up memory. Can any be resized to 800 x 600 which is a good size for on screen viewing, but limits decent printouts to 5" x 7". I have found that 1.3mb photos will be reduced to 450 or so Kb when resized.

I have a handy utility which compresses photos, but I don't know about video. The programme will also work as a Zip prog. I cannot remember the name, but can tell you when I fire up the PC tomorrow morning, if you wish.

That's about all I can think of. It looks like you have a series of tasks ahead of you.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
File compression......

Found it. ๎Œ’ ๎Œ ๎Œ ๎„’ . I use StuffIt. I have had no complaints about the software. ๎Ÿ ๎Ÿ. The Mac link is http://www.stuffit.com/mac-deluxe.html

Hope this helps

A further thought. StuffIt is available in Windows and Mac formats. So would there be an inter platform conversion facility?

I have found the programme very stable and versatile. You can specify the degree of file compression. The programme interfaces seamlessly with Zip files.

It's well worth a try. I'm not sure whether their is a free trial version.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
A further thought. StuffIt is available in Windows and Mac formats. So would there be an inter platform conversion facility?

I have found the programme very stable and versatile. You can specify the degree of file compression. The programme interfaces seamlessly with Zip files.

It's well worth a try. I'm not sure whether their is a free trial version.

I stopped using compression programmes some time ago, portable hard drives are just so cheap now I have no need to worry about space.......my favourite portables are the WD Passport series, just stuff them full of data and stick them in a pocket. I even keep a bootable clone of my computers on one (MacBook on Tiger just before upgrade, MacBook on Snow Leopard and even my old Mac Mini which I don't have anymore but it boots on my MacBook) so that I can startup from any stage in the past should the worst happen or if I just need to go back and find something from a project a few years back.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if I bought a 1TB external hard drive would that take all my laptop memory as a backup?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
So if I bought a 1TB external hard drive would that take all my laptop memory as a backup?

If your laptop is less than 1TB then yes. Bootable clones are my favourite way of backing up but I have no idea how to do this in windows.

The Archangel

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I stopped using compression programmes some time ago, portable hard drives are just so cheap now I have no need to worry about space.......my favourite portables are the WD Passport series, just stuff them full of data and stick them in a pocket. I even keep a bootable clone of my computers on one (MacBook on Tiger just before upgrade, MacBook on Snow Leopard and even my old Mac Mini which I don't have anymore but it boots on my MacBook) so that I can startup from any stage in the past should the worst happen or if I just need to go back and find something from a project a few years back.

The Archangel

I have a Seagate portable drive. I have the automatic backup set to do incremental back ups at 6.00 am on Saturdays. Now that I'm retired, I don't fire up things till after 6 on Saturdays. So, I haven't backed up for over 12 months now. I hope I'm not tempting fate.

I must reset things.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
If your laptop is less than 1TB then yes. Bootable clones are my favourite way of backing up but I have no idea how to do this in windows.

The Archangel

Hi Hayles,

Would you like the name of the backup programme I use? I can email the link tomorrow morning.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Typical! Neither do I, so it's no good asking you then, Is it? Each drive has 60gb so that's 120gb so is that enough to backup? On the off chance could I put windows backup onto a mac? Would you know that or do I have to rely on my old favourite Internet for answer?
Yes, thanks Richard, any advice would be good right now!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Typical! Neither do I, so it's no good asking you then, Is it? Each drive has 60gb so that's 120gb so is that enough to backup? On the off chance could I put windows backup onto a mac? Would you know that or do I have to rely on my old favourite Internet for answer?

Ok will send

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:

You can't load a windows backup onto a mac, you can migrate to mac, see here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518 you can also dual boot a mac with windows using some readily available software so a bootable clone would work.........but seriously, why would you want windows on a mac!!

That's fine on a 1TB drive, 120GB will hardly touch the surface.....you should always have a recent backup available (that includes you too, Richard!) as the worst can always happen!

Google search will find you answers as to how to make a bootable clone of windows, I can't paste an answer here as I don't know what flavour of windows that you have.

The Archangel

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Mmm! Vista flavour is ...not so good!

I've stuck with XP It's better than Windows7. Should I wash my mouth out?

OP
iPad 2 is cool

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I've stuck with XP It's better than Windows7. Should I wash my mouth out?

Untrue, and yes....you should wash your mouth out.

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Most reactions

Latest posts