What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family History

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Joyntechnology said:
Am I in the right place ? I searched for your Family History thread. I am hooked on building family trees for my husband and for me. I've already found "cousins" I didn't know I had and have communicated directly with two in Germany! I've also traveled to have lunch with two that have been avid collectors of documents. Because my father died when I was a teenager and his remaining family lived far, I didn't know much about my roots. I've since learned that an autoimmune illness that I have was inherited!
The advantage of an iPad is that you can actually collect data at a site and attach it to your tree. Last week I was in cemeteries taking pics of graves and this week talking to aging relatives while showing them the trees. Already picking up anecdotes that add a dimension I never thought possible!

Hi Joyntechnology.

Yes, you are depending on what you ar looking for.

It's a shame this thread and the Rootsmagic thread are slow.

Like you, I believe the iPad has a future in Genealogy. It's a fascinating hobby, and ties in with other interests, such as travel and local history.

I have photos of ancestors stored on my iPad to refer to or show relatives. I use iFiles for this purpose.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this thread by accident and realised I had not even thought of using my iPad for family history :)

In the last few years I have found my husbands two sisters that he did not know about and also a whole family for my mother-in-law who was adopted (2 brothers and a sister) so she finally got to find out who her mother was.

My own mother spent years researching her family and we spent a lovely summer holiday mooching around old graveyards in Scotland and in some cases actually having to dig up fallen headstones to get at the information LOL

Ldsdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've enjoyed genealogy for years. We use familysearch.org and have also used the LDS church's local genealogy library. My wife's family tree traces back into royalty, and her ancestors include Lady Godiva, Charlemane, and Joseph of Aramathea (my apologies if I misspelled any of those).
I am interested, joyntechnology, in what app, if any, you use in your family history research/work... Are there any apps of this sort available?

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
darkangelwitch said:
I found this thread by accident and realised I had not even thought of using my iPad for family history :)

In the last few years I have found my husbands two sisters that he did not know about and also a whole family for my mother-in-law who was adopted (2 brothers and a sister) so she finally got to find out who her mother was.

My own mother spent years researching her family and we spent a lovely summer holiday mooching around old graveyards in Scotland and in some cases actually having to dig up fallen headstones to get at the information LOL

Welcome to this thread, darkangelwitch. I started the thread as a general discussion, where we can exchange experiences gained in Genealogy. Also, hopefully we can help each other in developing use of the iPad as a tool for genealogy.

For me, the convenience and portability of the iPad, and it's remarkable battery life lend it to field work in archives and libraries, or to take photos. The iPad 3 has a great camera and screen. I don't own a 3, but an speaking from viewing photos posted on threads, and from tinkering with display models in stores.

Ancestry's tree to go for iPad is good.

I also like GrdView as notes etc can easily be added in the field.

BTW, how are you getting on with the new look LDS Familysearch? The roots forums are full of complaints.

Ldsdad said:
I've enjoyed genealogy for years. We use familysearch.org and have also used the LDS church's local genealogy library. My wife's family tree traces back into royalty, and her ancestors include Lady Godiva, Charlemane, and Joseph of Aramathea (my apologies if I misspelled any of those).
I am interested, joyntechnology, in what app, if any, you use in your family history research/work... Are there any apps of this sort available?

Hi Ldsdad. It's good to see you on this forum. Like you, I'm interested in the app joyntechnology uses.

Your wife's distant ancestors are amazing. You were lucky to find information, and to verify it.

Genealogy is fascinating with incredible ancestors waiting to be found whether good or bed :)

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself but I know my stepmother has reunited with 3 sisters and she sees one every year(lives in South Africa) and the other lived nearby for a while. They were all separated when the parents split up and all contact was severed. My stepmother found out that the south African actually lived in the same city (Durban, South Africa) as her for 20 years and they didn't know it. They were all born in the north of England. How about that for coincidence!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your story is similar to the half? Sisters'? reunion in S. Africa as shown on the lost relatives programme with Nicky Campbell and Davina McCall.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Long story, shortened:

I lost my drivers lisence so I had to get a new one. I needed my birth certificate, so I dug into the files and found it.

Before putting it away, I read it and discovered that my mother had two kids before she married my dad.

Asked my brother about it and he said he was told by our uncle and dad NEVER discuss it.

Mom never told us/me about her kids and i was 50 ish before I learned about it.

Bob

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why that is so sad. Did you ever meet them Bob?
By the way, lovely to see you again. Missed your cryptic comments.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's good to hear from you Bob, but with such a sad story.

As Hayles said, did you manage to trace and contact your half siblings?

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just posted on another thread, but part of my post sits in this thread.....

I'm currently catching up on these threads in between adding more facts to my family tree. The facts were downloaded from the British Newspaper Archive by my cousin in Edmonton.
I'm finding out about a farming ancestor whose house stock etc were auctioned off over 3 days some months after he died. His farm is now under the runways and buildings of RAF Cranwell.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I just posted on another thread, but part of my post sits in this thread.....

I'm currently catching up on these threads in between adding more facts to my family tree. The facts were downloaded from the British Newspaper Archive by my cousin in Edmonton.
I'm finding out about a farming ancestor whose house stock etc were auctioned off over 3 days some months after he died. His farm is now under the runways and buildings of RAF Cranwell.

That is also sad, in a different way. You can't go back and connect...with a runway.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
That is also sad, in a different way. You can't go back and connect...with a runway.

True, but the old farmhouse, Cranwell Lodge, still stands. I will need to get a pass to visit it.

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been researching my family for a couple of years and have gone back to 1520 on my fathers side, i use ancestry.co and have been and am in touch with relatives here in the UK in the USA , it's really interesting and I think everyone should have a go it's so easy with the different sites you could use.

Linda

Most reactions