Family History

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Richard Brown, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kyusho

kyusho
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi there.
    I have been using the Family Tree app. It is full genealogy program with many features.
    I currently have in it about 500 persons and it handles them easily.

Pekka

2. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi there Valkrider. I am currently using Roots Magic version 4, which is excellent. Try searching for "S and N genealogy supplies"

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

3. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Bob, it's great to see you here on this thread, which seems to be waking up after a long slumber. (The Viking has stirred?!<VBG>).

Yes, there are skeletons in some of our histories. I have one from the 1850s. I was contacted a couple of months ago by the friend of a family branch which I knew nothing of. The fact that this branch descended from a male living in the late 19thC knocked a family tale developed by my Canadian cousins. They believed that all the brothers of the family emigrated to canada leaving their sisters behind in Lincolnshire.

It's all most fascinating and you need to prove out stories etc.

4. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    We all seem to be proud of our families, but I suspect many of us have no shortage of evil in our past.

5. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    But not so many wealthy ones. Although, the fairly light-weight TV series, Heir Hunters, hints that lots of us have untapped inheritances etc!

6. Joyntechnology

Joyntechnology
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Am I in the right place ? I searched for your Family History thread. I am hooked on building family trees for my husband and for me. I've already found "cousins" I didn't know I had and have communicated directly with two in Germany! I've also traveled to have lunch with two that have been avid collectors of documents. Because my father died when I was a teenager and his remaining family lived far, I didn't know much about my roots. I've since learned that an autoimmune illness that I have was inherited!
    The advantage of an iPad is that you can actually collect data at a site and attach it to your tree. Last week I was in cemeteries taking pics of graves and this week talking to aging relatives while showing them the trees. Already picking up anecdotes that add a dimension I never thought possible!

7. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Joyntechnology.

Yes, you are depending on what you ar looking for.

It's a shame this thread and the Rootsmagic thread are slow.

Like you, I believe the iPad has a future in Genealogy. It's a fascinating hobby, and ties in with other interests, such as travel and local history.

I have photos of ancestors stored on my iPad to refer to or show relatives. I use iFiles for this purpose.

8. darkangelwitch

darkangelwitch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I found this thread by accident and realised I had not even thought of using my iPad for family history :)

In the last few years I have found my husbands two sisters that he did not know about and also a whole family for my mother-in-law who was adopted (2 brothers and a sister) so she finally got to find out who her mother was.

My own mother spent years researching her family and we spent a lovely summer holiday mooching around old graveyards in Scotland and in some cases actually having to dig up fallen headstones to get at the information LOL

9. Ldsdad

Ldsdad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've enjoyed genealogy for years. We use familysearch.org and have also used the LDS church's local genealogy library. My wife's family tree traces back into royalty, and her ancestors include Lady Godiva, Charlemane, and Joseph of Aramathea (my apologies if I misspelled any of those).
    I am interested, joyntechnology, in what app, if any, you use in your family history research/work... Are there any apps of this sort available?

10. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to this thread, darkangelwitch. I started the thread as a general discussion, where we can exchange experiences gained in Genealogy. Also, hopefully we can help each other in developing use of the iPad as a tool for genealogy.

For me, the convenience and portability of the iPad, and it's remarkable battery life lend it to field work in archives and libraries, or to take photos. The iPad 3 has a great camera and screen. I don't own a 3, but an speaking from viewing photos posted on threads, and from tinkering with display models in stores.

Ancestry's tree to go for iPad is good.

I also like GrdView as notes etc can easily be added in the field.

BTW, how are you getting on with the new look LDS Familysearch? The roots forums are full of complaints.

Hi Ldsdad. It's good to see you on this forum. Like you, I'm interested in the app joyntechnology uses.

Your wife's distant ancestors are amazing. You were lucky to find information, and to verify it.

Genealogy is fascinating with incredible ancestors waiting to be found whether good or bed :)

#20 Richard Brown, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012