What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 photo folder confusion

Jonn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I've a question about organising photos on my iPad 2, why is it that when I put photos from the camera roll into a new folder ive created I cannot delete the originals from the camera roll without them being deleted from the new folder?

Also there is a photo folder which I can't seem to do anything with and like the camera roll folder is unable to be deleted, I think I'm looking it from a windows move pictures from one folder to another point of view and I don't think that's how it works on an ipad2

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Putting photos into folders does not duplicate them. It links to the original. The only place your original photograph exists is in the camera roll.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, John. Welcome to the forum! Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

For the first part of your question, when you put a photo (in the Photo app) into an album, you aren't actually moving the photo to that album; you are actually creating a link inside your album that goes back to the photo in the main album. So, you can't delete the main photo, else the link won't work. Not my idea of a good way to do it - but that's how Apple decided to give us albums...

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking in the second part, but let me give a stab at it: If you've put the photos on your iPad using iTunes, those photos go into a certain album. That album is separate from an album created if you take a screen shot (which I think is also separate from photos you save to the Photo app from, say, the Internet). I don't use iTunes to manage my photos, so I'm not quite sure how all that works. Sorry.

If I've wandered way off base in this answer, let me know (or maybe someone else can chime in). Otherwise, hope some of this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
J

Jonn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks both of you for your quick and helpful replies they have helped me a lot, as for the second part of my question I have a folder called photo folder which I didn't create, i have two photos in there but can't remember for the life of me where I got them lol, I seem to recall saving them directly from iPad safari although my feeble memory will probably prove me wrong lol, ty once again

Most reactions

Latest posts