What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos in a new album

cruiser51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been "experimenting" with the the photos function on my iPad 2 and I've hit a problem. When I create a new album in "Photos" and want to add photos or videos to it from "Camera Roll", it appears that I cannot delete the original in camera roll without "Deleting everywhere". This means that, although I've moved (or copied) the photo/video to the new album, my camera roll is getting ever larger with all the duplicated images/videos. To me, this seems ridiculous and I'm sure I've missed something. Can anyone help, please.

MPH55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dito, I have the same problem, surely theres a way to empty the camera roll or imported photos after copying to another folder ?

I'm sure it's just me but i'm very new to Apple product so be kind with the replies.

Thanks in advance, MPH55.

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way round this. So far as I know the photos aren't actually 'copied' in the sense we expect. Yes the photo is viewable in this new album but it's original is still in the camera roll. The photo you have in your new album is almost like a link to it, so when you go too view it it finds it in your camera roll and shows it. Unfortunately I don't know a work around for this using the native photo app. However, there are some brilliant photo apps on the app store that should more than cover your needs.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

Wizee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camera Roll is a catch-all. If you make an album, it is linked to Camer Roll. No way around it yet. I think that there are apps that will do want you want.

OP
C

cruiser51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was afraid this would be the case in that the album contents are merely links to the camera roll - messy!

I will try and find a suitable app.

Last edited:

MPH55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, seems like an oversite by apple, will make the inport & camara folders very large over time.

I wonder if the folders can be emtyed and then re-imported through iTune that may keep them to a managebe size, will try when I get home.

Again, Many thanks for your replies.
MPH55

Most reactions

Latest posts