What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 and HD television

ophelia105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought a cable type thingy to attach my ipad2 to my hd telly

I have sound and image so the right bits must be in the right places at the back of the telly

But the image is black and white.

I have tried youtube and iplayer but it is still black and white on both.

Why is this? Have a substandard cable?

Tnx

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest purchasing Apple TV assuming you have a wifi network and then you can mirror the iPad via Apple TV to your HD TV. Cost around $100 US. No cables no pain. You need a HDMI socket on the TV plus a fast Internet connection.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have bought a cable type thingy to attach my ipad2 to my hd telly..........

In case you do not have a home Wi-Fi network or do not want to purchase an Apple TV, then you need to better described the 'thingy' and how your iPad is connected to your TV - for myself, I have the iPad adapter shown below (it is the older 30 pin one; new 'lightening' adapters are also available) which attaches to my device (as shown in the right image below) - an HDMI cable (black below) inserts into the adapter and then into an HDMI input on my HDTV; the other attached cable is simply to the power adapter. Good luck - :)

Apples-HDMI-Adapter.pngaccessory-apple-digital-av-adapter.jpg

OP
O

ophelia105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear. Mine looks nothing like that.

It has a 30 pn for the ipad then three round attachments of the telly. Gold RCA AV to TV composite cable type thingy...apparently...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear. Mine looks nothing like that.

It has a 30 pn for the ipad then three round attachments of the telly. Gold RCA AV to TV composite cable type thingy...apparently...

I use the same adapter with my iPad 2 as giradman. It works without problems.
Is this the one you're using?

image-91214080.jpg

Ebay

Last edited:
OP
O

ophelia105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup. That's the one! The picture is grainy as well as being black and white..

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Did you check if you plugged the connectors into the right input ports on your TV?

Connect the multi-function AV Cable to your iPod or iPhone/iPad.
Plug the yellow (video output port), white and red connectors (audio output port) of AV cable into the video -and audio input ports on your TV or receiver.
(imycases)

Or perhaps there's something on your TV that has to be changed. When I want to watch videos from my iPad on TV, I have to go to "HDMI Side" (Source) to get the picture.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Ophelia... - as Johanna has stated make sure that your connections are correct (assume that you are getting audio?). Keep in mind that your adapter is taking high resolution digital data and 'converting' to an analog video signal of lower resolution (you'll lose detail and may not be able to read text); also, these cross-platform adapters receive mixed reviews, i.e. may work for some and not for others (just check out the comments on Amazon). NOW, in your OP, you mention having a "hd telly..." - can you be more specific (e.g. brand & model of TV, assume LCD or plasma rather than an old CRT which would be SD)? If you indeed have a HDTV, then are HDMI ports available? If so, you might want to change your setup and go w/ a HDMI to HDMI connection on the TV - good luck and please respond - Dave :)

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have gone through what you are experiencing. If your TV has an HDMI port, the best solution by far was this:
1. Get an Apple TV.
2. Get a wifi router. 300M speed will work and is not expensive.
3. Get a short HDMI cable. Connect this to the Apple TV.
4. Link everything up as a DIY network.
Everything on the iPad can be played on the TV, including Keynotes, movies, PDFs, and emails.

If your TV lacks HDMI, one thing that worked, after I tried all the RCA plugs and found one that made color, was to unplug the cable from the adapter and plug it back in again.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The AV cable outputs to RCA I think. Many iPad fuctions will not display on a TV that way. If there is HDMI on the TV, that is the way to go.

Most reactions

Latest posts