What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 No Longer Supported by Apple?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why? Doesn't the iPad you have do what you bought it for?
Bobbi

That's exactly the point. It may not be able to deal with IOS 6 but it still is working for you now. When you need new capabilities, as I did, then its time to upgrade and not before.

Diane

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On one hand this makes me mad. I and millions others got our iPads at Christmas 2010 which makes our devices only 18 months old.

But on the other hand, our Ipads will still be usable for everything it does today for a long time. I haven't heard anything about iOS 6 that I feel I'd be missing on my iPad. '

The coolest thing I heard about for iOS 6 was the cellular Facetime and updated Siri. And that doesn't apply to our Ipads anyway.

Exactly. Its not abandoned--it just doesn't have the processor able to handle the new firmware. It works fine in 5.1. The Ones will be around for a good while and if you don't need the new options (and they will keep adding options every year in new firmware LOL) then enjoy it until you decide you need the new options.

Diane

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the key questionis whether iOS 5.1 will continue to be supported for the original iPad. I have no problem with forgoing the fancier features of newer iPads, but I think Apple owes it to us to maintain the original functionality.

I recently bought an iPad 3 (? or whatever), but kept my iPad 1 to share apps with my toddler grandson.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another important problem will be the ever increasing number of apps optimized for iOs 6,the iPad 3 and it's upcoming replacement.These apps will either not work on the iPad 1 or will not work at the same level.

Last edited:

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Another important problem will be the ever increasing number of apps optimized for iOs 6,the iPad 3 and it's upcoming replacement.These apps will either not work on the iPad 1 or will not work at the same level.

Good point, and this begs the question, does the iphone 3gs not have the same problem, cause the ipad 1 used the 1gigahertz processor of the iphone 4 but was poor at ram @256 mb. The 3gs have the same ram but a slower processor, yet it gets ios6. I feel i am missing something here

RIP Steve Jobs 

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The decision hasn't been purely made on tech specs, the ipad 1 has a better processor than the 3GS, however the iphone 3gs is still produced and sold brand new by apple, the ipad 1 isn't. They want all their currently available new idevices to run ios 6. No doubt the build for the 3gs will be crippled and make it slow but thats what they seem to want.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanksmfor that Def, i thought i was missing something. So apple wants all thier phones, 3gs, 4, 4s and the upcoming 5 to all run on ios6 then, i can under stand that. Also with ios 6, will the iphone 3gs and iphone 4 will have siri, any one know ? I know the 3gs will struggle with the low ram memory

RIP Steve Jobs 

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good karma said:
Thanksmfor that Def, i thought i was missing something. So apple wants all thier phones, 3gs, 4, 4s and the upcoming 5 to all run on ios6 then, i can under stand that. Also with ios 6, will the iphone 3gs and iphone 4 will have siri, any one know ? I know the 3gs will struggle with the low ram memory

RIP Steve Jobs 

No,only the iPhone 4s,out of the currently produced iPhones has,and will continue to have,SIRI when running on iOS 6.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Siri is (will be) a iphone 4s and ipad 3 and above feature only. I doubt the 3GS will get many of the 'headline' features, the 4 will get a few more and no doubt there's probably a few unannouced features that only the iphone 5 adn ipad 4 will get. Like Siri in iOS5, which was only annoucced with the launch of the hardware and not at the launch of iOS5

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
My Ipad one had to be soft reset almost every day with 5.1 because I pushed it beyond what the processor could really handle.

Gee, what exactly were you doing? I rarely have to reset mine.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Siri is (will be) a iphone 4s and ipad 3 and above feature only. I doubt the 3GS will get many of the 'headline' features, the 4 will get a few more and no doubt there's probably a few unannouced features that only the iphone 5 adn ipad 4 will get. Like Siri in iOS5, which was only annoucced with the launch of the hardware and not at the launch of iOS5

I may be confused but I don't see why the Ipad Ones (we have two in our household) won't continue to work as they do now. No more firmware upgrades but the apps should continue to work as is though I would think. I cleaned mine and reinstalled primarily music apps but my husband's is still used exactly as he's been using it for two years and he expects to continue to use it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The decision hasn't been purely made on tech specs, the ipad 1 has a better processor than the 3GS, however the iphone 3gs is still produced and sold brand new by apple, the ipad 1 isn't. They want all their currently available new idevices to run ios 6. No doubt the build for the 3gs will be crippled and make it slow but thats what they seem to want.

Yes, I read that today and it makes good sense. I'm hardly an Apple fan as I've used Windows machines (built for my needs last number of years) since they came out and PCs, such as they were, before that. I do, however, really like my Ipads and feel they have changed the way many people, including me, use computers. I feel I have gotten my 2 year's money's worth out of my Ipad One, still using it for a repurposed use (replacing my aging Touch for streaming music and offline music) and upgraded to a Three which I'm hoping I can use for four years.

I do understand people getting a bit unnerved about it not going to be able to use IOS 6 but I have friends that haven't even upgraded from 4.0 and are still happy with their Ipad Ones for their daily use.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
Photo and video processing apps, PDFs with annotations, cutting and pasting between apps, moving content from app to app, etc.

Ah, that'll do it.

I basically use my ipad as a digital newspaper and watch a video now and then. I also do a lot of writing on it. I don't see any of that being impacted by the lack of iOS 6 so I think I'll be satisfied with my ipad 1 for another year.

Really, anybody who simply uses their iPad 1 to read books, surf the web, watch video's won't be impacted much.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may be confused but I don't see why the Ipad Ones (we have two in our household) won't continue to work as they do now. No more firmware upgrades but the apps should continue to work as is though I would think. I cleaned mine and reinstalled primarily music apps but my husband's is still used exactly as he's been using it for two years and he expects to continue to use it.

Because some developers will stop supporting older versions of some apps. Just depends on which apps you use and when the developer decides to cut support.

Most reactions

Latest posts