What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 No Longer Supported by Apple?

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since both the 3GS and Iphone 4 are supported by iOS6 it stands to reason that any app that has a phone equivalent will run on the more powerful iPad.

As for developers simply morphing their ipad only apps to no longer work on an ipad 1, I think that fear is overblown. At least for another year or so.

And anyone still using an iPad 1 is probably not doing video/music editing anyway.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Because some developers will stop supporting older versions of some apps. Just depends on which apps you use and when the developer decides to cut support.

There are some apps that are stand alone and don't require a connection to a host server to work.These type of apps will continue to work as long as you have them on your iPad.I have several apps on my iPad that are no longer available in the app store but continue to work fine.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have my original iPad, letting it out as a loaner for family who need something temporarily, or want to try it out. I know it will not be abandoned by Apple, but it will not upgrade to iOS 6. Look at the features that are in iOS 6, and they really have no place on the original iPad. It does not have the microphones or processors to handle Siri. It does not have cameras, so FaceTime and Photos are no good. It cannot support 4G, so many other features are not practical. We may see some upgrades to iOS 5 as things go along, to give more features to older models, but long past the life rating of any iPad, we will see support from Apple. This isn't Android where you can have several devices purchased at one time, with a different OS on each one, and no way to upgrade.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sticking with my ipad 1 until March 2013. I figure the New iPad will be much cheaper than. I just can't justify spending $700+ for a 32gb 3G model right now to get a higher res screen. That's the one thing I would want since my iPad is a glorified e-reader/timewaster.

I use my 4S for facetime and picture taking.

scenekld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so don't expect ipad 1 anymore updates, so we say our last goodbye ?! D: well i died

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some apps that are stand alone and don't require a connection to a host server to work.These type of apps will continue to work as long as you have them on your iPad.I have several apps on my iPad that are no longer available in the app store but continue to work fine.

That's why my post said some apps. I didn't say all apps face death, lol. And of course, everyone uses different apps. I think that should go without saying, but if we're spelling things out for those who might need things spelled out, OK.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since both the 3GS and Iphone 4 are supported by iOS6 it stands to reason that any app that has a phone equivalent will run on the more powerful iPad.

As for developers simply morphing their ipad only apps to no longer work on an ipad 1, I think that fear is overblown. At least for another year or so.

And anyone still using an iPad 1 is probably not doing video/music editing anyway.

The overblown thing just depends on which apps you use and how important they are to you. The funny thing was, on another thread, someone said that and then on a follow up post he said, crud, you're right, because one of my apps just stopped working (this was during one of the iOS 5 upgrades) because the developer gave up on it.

dgkoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I have an Ipad one (dedicated to music primarily now to replace my dying Touch) and an Ipad 3. My husband has an Ipad 1. He has no issues with IOS 5.1 since he uses his primarily for web, reading and email. My Ipad one had to be soft reset almost every day with 5.1 because I pushed it beyond what the processor could really handle. The 3 glides through the same apps. Devices will just not be able to handle much upgraded firmware. To begin withk I don't think the Apple folks had any idea what the 3rd party developers would do with this device--its gone way beyond what anyone expected and so firmware had to keep up with it but Ipad one's processor just got outgrown.

For useage like my husband's its still more than capable. He never needs a reset and only very occasionally, at my urging, does he reboot. I'm expecting to get 4 years out of my Ipad 3, then it will probably need replacing for the same reason. Not one bit sorry I bought One the month it came out. Its changed how I use a computer which I've used for many many many years LOLOL.

I agree!!

Most reactions

Latest posts