iPad 1 No Longer Supported by Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by Tuttle, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DefBref

DefBref
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The decision hasn't been purely made on tech specs, the ipad 1 has a better processor than the 3GS, however the iphone 3gs is still produced and sold brand new by apple, the ipad 1 isn't. They want all their currently available new idevices to run ios 6. No doubt the build for the 3gs will be crippled and make it slow but thats what they seem to want.

2. Good karma

Good karma
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanksmfor that Def, i thought i was missing something. So apple wants all thier phones, 3gs, 4, 4s and the upcoming 5 to all run on ios6 then, i can under stand that. Also with ios 6, will the iphone 3gs and iphone 4 will have siri, any one know ? I know the 3gs will struggle with the low ram memory

RIP Steve Jobs 

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No,only the iPhone 4s,out of the currently produced iPhones has,and will continue to have,SIRI when running on iOS 6.

4. DefBref

DefBref
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Siri is (will be) a iphone 4s and ipad 3 and above feature only. I doubt the 3GS will get many of the 'headline' features, the 4 will get a few more and no doubt there's probably a few unannouced features that only the iphone 5 adn ipad 4 will get. Like Siri in iOS5, which was only annoucced with the launch of the hardware and not at the launch of iOS5

5. Rperez414

Rperez414
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Gee, what exactly were you doing? I rarely have to reset mine.

6. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I may be confused but I don't see why the Ipad Ones (we have two in our household) won't continue to work as they do now. No more firmware upgrades but the apps should continue to work as is though I would think. I cleaned mine and reinstalled primarily music apps but my husband's is still used exactly as he's been using it for two years and he expects to continue to use it.

7. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Photo and video processing apps, PDFs with annotations, cutting and pasting between apps, moving content from app to app, etc.

8. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I read that today and it makes good sense. I'm hardly an Apple fan as I've used Windows machines (built for my needs last number of years) since they came out and PCs, such as they were, before that. I do, however, really like my Ipads and feel they have changed the way many people, including me, use computers. I feel I have gotten my 2 year's money's worth out of my Ipad One, still using it for a repurposed use (replacing my aging Touch for streaming music and offline music) and upgraded to a Three which I'm hoping I can use for four years.

I do understand people getting a bit unnerved about it not going to be able to use IOS 6 but I have friends that haven't even upgraded from 4.0 and are still happy with their Ipad Ones for their daily use.

9. Rperez414

Rperez414
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that'll do it.

I basically use my ipad as a digital newspaper and watch a video now and then. I also do a lot of writing on it. I don't see any of that being impacted by the lack of iOS 6 so I think I'll be satisfied with my ipad 1 for another year.

Really, anybody who simply uses their iPad 1 to read books, surf the web, watch video's won't be impacted much.

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Because some developers will stop supporting older versions of some apps. Just depends on which apps you use and when the developer decides to cut support.