What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 No Longer Supported by Apple?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple may find it impossible for the original iPad to upgrade to a new iOS, but will never cease support. However, all electronics have a finite life and at some point the battery will fail and not be worth the cost of replacement. Say, ten more years.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it's true. The Engadget podcast just announced it. Sad though. I have the new iPad but my daughter has my old one. Thank goodness my hubbys 3GS is still supported.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully there has been some mistake. The iPad 1 is just over two years old. That's not even very old for a phone. Hell, the 3GS is still supported! These are not cheap devices, especially when you get the 3G and big memory.

For a device that's considered by many to be good enough to replace a laptop, cutting of OS updates after such a short time is insane. Within a few months after the release, app developers will no longer make updates for ios5, whether their app needs the new os or not. It's not even about capability or speed. Every update for the iPhone 3G slowed it down considerably until ios4 when it became unusable. Here we are with the first gen iPad and it's running fine on 5.1. There's no reason other than greed to lock us out.

I desperately need a new phone but won't even consider the iPhone 4S due to Apple's forced obsolescence policy for mobile devices. Either I wait until they release 5 and get one the day it comes out or go with droid. Sadly, if they don't support my iPad on ios6, I won't be replacing it. I'll get a Macbook and become one of those people that badmouths tablets. Ignoring the capability vs. weight arguments, at least a four year old Mackbook can run the current OS, which makes it cheaper than the iPad.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am baffled at the way apple abandoned the ipad 1 in such a way, if the 3gs is supported then why not the ipad 1. Good excuse for ipad 1 owners to jail break them and do away with this ridicolius decision.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On one hand this makes me mad. I and millions others got our iPads at Christmas 2010 which makes our devices only 18 months old.

But on the other hand, our Ipads will still be usable for everything it does today for a long time. I haven't heard anything about iOS 6 that I feel I'd be missing on my iPad. '

The coolest thing I heard about for iOS 6 was the cellular Facetime and updated Siri. And that doesn't apply to our Ipads anyway.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Abandoned? If you mean it won't run iOS 6, that's hardly abandoned.

If you are surprised however, you should not be. Apple historically makes very little effort keeping new OS releases compatible with older hardware.

You will move up when the new features make it worth your while.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 owners might be better off than if Apple had forced an untenable upgrade. I had my iPhone 3G for less than two years when Apple allowed an upgrade that was so overbloated for the hardware, it made the "smart" part of the phone so slow it was unusable. At least with no upgrade, we can eke out some more use on our iPad 1s.

If my iPad 1 starts not functioning as apps and such upgrade, I'll try jailbreaking. I read some thread awhile ago that someone bought an iPhone 3G or 3GS used and was able to do more with it jailbroken (even unsupported by Apple) than when it actually was supported by Apple. I'm not tempted to try as long as my iPad does what I want, but if it stops doing that, then there will be nothing to lose.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has just convinced me to check out the Windows 8 pads coming out later this year.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an Ipad one (dedicated to music primarily now to replace my dying Touch) and an Ipad 3. My husband has an Ipad 1. He has no issues with IOS 5.1 since he uses his primarily for web, reading and email. My Ipad one had to be soft reset almost every day with 5.1 because I pushed it beyond what the processor could really handle. The 3 glides through the same apps. Devices will just not be able to handle much upgraded firmware. To begin withk I don't think the Apple folks had any idea what the 3rd party developers would do with this device--its gone way beyond what anyone expected and so firmware had to keep up with it but Ipad one's processor just got outgrown.

For useage like my husband's its still more than capable. He never needs a reset and only very occasionally, at my urging, does he reboot. I'm expecting to get 4 years out of my Ipad 3, then it will probably need replacing for the same reason. Not one bit sorry I bought One the month it came out. Its changed how I use a computer which I've used for many many many years LOLOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts