What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 1 support closing down

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi

I understand that apples support for the ipad 1 is closing down some time in 2016. Is this correct.

I may well decide to get a newer model. If I do what would people suggest..get an iped 2 or ipad 3.

thanks in advance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I understand that apples support for the ipad 1 is closing down some time in 2016. Is this correct.

I may well decide to get a newer model. If I do what would people suggest..get an iped 2 or ipad 3.

Hi - I'm still using my iPad 2 running the latest iOS - considered buying the iPad Air but may wait for the next model. Usually, the recommendation on the forum about upgrading is to purchase the most recent model which will provide the newest hardware & features (and potential for future os updates), such as the A7 processor & retina display.

Now, there are a lot of considerations, e.g. how much can you spend (might impact on obtaining an older model, a used/refurbished device, option for cellular, and amount of storage), how much storage is needed, and whether you want a smaller screen (i.e. the Minis) - take a look at the current iPad models compared HERE and let us know your needs & budget. Good luck! Dave :)

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi

thanks for getting back to me.

yes...cost is relevant and I will probably settle for a refurbished model.

I use my ipad for email and TV..especially SKY (here in the UK) and sky have just updated there app and I have to have OS 6 or better and the ipad1 wont support it.

I am looking at an ipad3 (need the 10" screen as the eyes aren't as good as they were...lol..)with 32 gb and wifi only and hopefully get as much fun out of it as I have the ipad1.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
yes...cost is relevant and I will probably settle for a refurbished model.

Well, take a look at the 'refurb offerings' in the Apple Store - but try to obtain the most recent model possible that 'fits' your budget - just more likely guarantees future updates and hardware compatibility, especially w/ your interest in TV.

I use my ipad for email and TV..especially SKY (here in the UK) and sky have just updated there app and I have to have OS 6 or better and the ipad1 wont support it.

YEP, the problem w/ the iPad 1 - time to upgrade - :D

I am looking at an ipad3 (need the 10" screen as the eyes aren't as good as they were...lol..)with 32 gb and wifi only and hopefully get as much fun out of it as I have the ipad1.

Well, my birthday was a few days ago - hit 68 y/o and my eyes are an issue, also; I have a MBPro w/ retina display which is delightfully readable for me, so would like to upgrade my iPad 2 to a device w/ retina technology - doing most of my reading on the iPad and no longer am buying actual books - the print is just too damn small (I put knitting magnifying glasses on my regular ones to read 'real' books!) - good luck! Dave :)

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so I'm just a babe at 56.....

I also use it for reading..forgot that bit..

will look at the retina display idea.

thanks

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so I bit the bullet and got myself an ipad3 from ebay. 32gb with wifi only. Looks great..barely a mark on it...and all for £205.

thanks for all the comments.

Most reactions

Latest posts