What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios7 Email viewing addressees

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I often bcc mails to various addressees. However when I go back to the Sent Mail in the stock iPad iOS7 Mail app, I am unable to discover to whom I sent the mail, even though I sent it. Any solution please?
Further when I hide the mail account addressee in individual sent mails, I haven't discovered how to up hide it. Again help would be useful,
Pauladev

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I often bcc mails to various addressees. However when I go back to the Sent Mail in the stock iPad iOS7 Mail app, I am unable to discover to whom I sent the mail, even though I sent it. Any solution please?
Further when I hide the mail account addressee in individual sent mails, I haven't discovered how to up hide it. Again help would be useful,
Pauladev

I believe it is a function of the e-mail service you are using. I know that Gmail does not save the headers [on the ipad] in the Sent mail folder - and I've read that other IMAP accounts do the same thing.

I sent a BCC'd message to myself and got it on the iPad. But, when I went to the Sent folderI couldn't see the other recipients of the BCC mail. Then, I signed into Gmail on my computer and still can't see them.

So, it appears to be Gmail that's doing this. And I don't know why,- and others could be, also. As the iPad is a "mirror" of e-mails, it's only going to show what's happening on the web.

So, in other words - this is happening to me, too. It may be a function of Gmail/IMAP/Exchange accounts. Sorry, but I don't know...

As for hiding info by pressing the "Hide" button, I couldn't find any way to bring the view back except fully closing the Mail app (removing it from the multi-switcher). After I did that, the next time I opened the Mail app, the "Hide" button (and the info it hid previously) was there.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After you tap the Hide button a More button should appear to the right of the last address in the TO: field. Tapping that restores the header info. At least it does when you are in the INBOX.

It does not seem to do so when you are in other folders; however if you go back to the INBOX you will find that the more button is there. Tap it and then go back the other folder. The header will be back.

As for the BCC info, can't help. I never use the feature.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After you tap the Hide button a More button should appear to the right of the last address in the TO: field. Tapping that restores the header info. At least it does when you are in the INBOX. It does not seem to do so when you are in other folders....
It also appears in Trash, Archive and every mailbox you created yourself.

OP
P

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After you tap the Hide button a More button should appear to the right of the last address in the TO: field. Tapping that restores the header info. At least it does when you are in the INBOX.

It does not seem to do so when you are in other folders; however if you go back to the INBOX you will find that the more button is there. Tap it and then go back the other folder. The header will be back.

As for the BCC info, can't help. I never use the feature.

The whole point was that if you are only sending bcc to a group, then when you hide the 'undisclosed recipients' in the address line
in SENT MAIL, there is no TO address, and certainly no 'more'.
The principal question is how do you find out who the undisclosed recipients are in Sent Mail in iOS 7 mail program.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Marilyn covered most of that. Johanna and I were just adding filler on Hide's behavior.

Anyway, the problem got my curiosity up so I did a little searching and testing myself.

Everything I read and tested suggests that Gmail does not save the BCC info to the Sent Mail folder when the email client uses IMAP. It apparently saves your sent emails as if they've been sent, probably by sending them to the Sent Mail folder, and since you don't want the BCC info in the actual sent email (or the recipient could dig into the header info and see it) that information is not there.

While I did not dig terribly deep, the consensus seems to be that you can solve this for sending emails via the Mail app on the iPad. On a computer email client you can choose to send the Sent email to a local folder instead of Google's Sent Mail folder, bypassing SMTP/IMAP which appears to be at the core of the problem. iOS doesn't offer a local folder option for sent emails in IMAP accounts.

Kind of solutions:

The BCC info does get saved in the Sent Folder when using the webmail site. I guess because webmail sites do not normally use IMAP or SMTP. I'm not sure what they use, to be honest, but since most of them have direct access to the email servers POP, IMAP, and Exchange are unlikely to be used.

So, you could try using Gmail in Safari, or use the Gmail app from the App Store. That also seems to retain the BCC info.

Another, outside, possibility is setting Gmail up as an Exchange account instead of IMAP, but you need to have one of Google's paid accounts to do this, and I can't guarantee it would fix the problem.

I don't know if it is possible for Apple to fix this. It appears to be entirely on the Google side of things and about IMAP. You can however send Apple feedback, just in case. You should send Google feedback as well. I doubt a fix is trivial, since it sounds like it's a problem with IMAP, or at least Google's implementation of it, which is not very standard.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

OP
P

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that all makes sense. I will send a query to a Google, but I don't expect much response!

Most reactions