What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 9.3 Is Available

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a very big 1.6gb on my iPhone 6plus because I was running the iOS 9.3 beta so this update is the full install instead of a delta update. It'll be a similar update size on my iPad Air 2 which is also running iOS 9.3 beta.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a very big 1.6gb on my iPhone 6plus because I was running the iOS 9.3 beta so this update us the full install instead of a delta update. It'll be a similar update size on my iPad Air 2 which is also running iOS 9.3 beta.

Heh. That's the price you beta people pay. A huge update size, and little new to show for it (because you had most of it already). :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked my iPad Air 2, the update size is 1.4gb.
image.jpeg

BTW, with my slow internet connection it'll take 2 hours for my iPhone update to download.:(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, but my ipad show only 204MBs why
That's because I was running iOS 9.3 beta on my iPad Air 2. This means updating to the public release version of iOS 9.3 is the full install instead of the delta update available to users currently on iOS 9.2.1.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, but my ipad show only 204MBs why

First, please tell us which iPad model you own? As w/ previous upgrades/updates, the IPSW firmware packages will vary in size depending on which device (and also its features) you have - e.g. checking HERE shows that the the size difference between updating an iPad 2 vs. an iPad Air 2 is about 0.5 GB, which likely relates to more features available for the newer device - the image just emphasizes that each device is unique in its update/upgrade needs (same link).

Second, as to your 204 MBs, something is wrong w/ your download - please provide the information asked and also 'how' you are doing the update - Dave :)

iOS 9.3 (iPad 2 Wi-Fi): 1.42 GB
iOS 9.3 (iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi): 1.96 GB
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 6.12.05 PM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SciFan.. & TP - thanks for your comments - I just updated our 3 iDevices to iOS 9.2.1, and tomorrow we are about to leave for a 5-day trip to Florida (St. Pete's Beach), a delayed celebration of Susan's birthday in January - SO, I'll wait until our return - maybe a 9.3.1 release will appear by then? ;) Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, please tell us which iPad model you own? As w/ previous upgrades/updates, the IPSW firmware packages will vary in size depending on which device (and also its features) you have - e.g. checking HERE shows that the the size difference between updating an iPad 2 vs. an iPad Air 2 is about 0.5 GB, which likely relates to more features available for the newer device - the image just emphasizes that each device is unique in its update/upgrade needs (same link).

Second, as to your 204 MBs, something is wrong w/ your download - please provide the information asked and also 'how' you are doing the update - Dave :)

View attachment 70636
These would be the update files you would use if you updated through iTunes on your computer. Updating OTA without using iTunes would have a much smaller download size as the OTA update file only contains the changes from the previous version.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
These would be the update files you would use if you updated through iTunes on your computer. Updating OTA without using iTunes would have a much smaller download size as the OTA update file only contains the changes from the previous version.

Yes, point taken, but for those not aware of this difference, then some explanation is warranted - updating via iTunes or by a direct download (from my previous link) would completely replace the iOS (like re-intsalling Mac OS X vs. simply doing an update), which my be desirable; however, doing an OTA (Over the Air) update as stated above will replace only those iOS files that have changed, thus requiring a smaller download - important for an iDevice that might have less storage available for a 'complete' update/upgrade download - now which is the best option? Likely not a definite answer - but still curious that if a COMPLETE DL and replacement requires about 1.5 GB DL, then can one OTA require only a few hundred MBs? Would like to see some links that accurately compare these options - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For those who care, the iPhone 6 Plus OTA update was only 303 MB (if I remember correctly), compaired ot SciFan's 1.6 GB full update (because he had a beta installed).

Going to start my iPad Pro update now. La la la la. . ,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Started the AppleWatch update too, which means I'm on the forum using my iMac for the first time in months.

The iPad Pro's OTA size was 293 MB (or there abouts) for those keeping track. I forgot to look a the AppleWatch's update size, but I doubt it was very big.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And done. The iPad Pro update went a lot faster then the iPhone 6 Plus. Download's about the same, but he intall cycle much faster.

So back to the quite time, until the next major update. :)

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sir I m use iPad 4 wifi, second I like to add since I got my iPad I do my all updates OTA but will miss update between iOS 8 to 9 on that forum advice me also teach me to updated via PC. So now I want ask 2 things 1st that how I update OTA or.... 2nd before when update released I notified with red 1 update sign but no that time.

Most reactions

Latest posts