iOS 7 - first impressions

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Domen, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Skull One

Skull One
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Soft reset is a power off by the slider.

Hard reset is the power and home button held at the same time.

The difference is very simple. The soft reset does not clear any files saved durning a normal shutdown, which allows the startup to have certain presets loaded. The hard reset deletes all those files and does a clean reboot with only system based preferences loaded.

Whether people like the name convention or not is immaterial. Mainly because the names have been used for the last six years. So they are considered "in stone" at present.

2. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    In fact a soft reset just puts the operating system to sleep, ready for a quick restart - hence the name of the sleep button. The hard reset restarts the entire operating system, takes far longer than a normal restart, but does ensure that spurious errors are not carried forward into the new session of use.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

3. Skull One

Skull One
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Soft reset requires you to hold the Standby Button for 5 seconds and then use the "slide to power off" control that shows at the top of the screen in red.

4. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just simply use the terms "restart" and "reset" defined by the Apple Guide manual.

There is no mention of the term "soft" or "hard" when discussing the term reset in this manner.

“Restart or reset iPad
    If something isn’t working right, try restarting iPad, forcing an app to quit, or resetting iPad.

Restart iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
    iPad may be low on power. Connect iPad to the USB power adapter to charge. See Charge and monitor the battery.

Force an app to quit. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds until a red slider appears, then hold down the Home button until the app closes.
    If you can’t turn off iPad or if the problem contin“continues, you may need to reset iPad. Do this only if you’re unable to restart iPad.

Reset iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
    You can reset the word dictionary, network settings, home screen layout, and location warnings. You can also erase all of your content and settings.”

Excerpt From: Inc, Apple. “iPad User Guide For iOS 7.” Apple Inc., 2013. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=709634245

Excerpt From: Inc, Apple. “iPad User Guide For iOS 7.” Apple Inc., 2013. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=709634245

#254 skimonkey, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. LasJayhawk

LasJayhawk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just did the update via itunes on my mini. First things I noticed:

I went from 4.9 Gb free to 6.2 !
    There is a hitch when i pinch close an app repainting the icons, maybe 0.1 second, just enough to make it look a little jerky

but i did notice this in safari:
    IMG_0048[1].PNG

see how the print icon is sheared off. It's the same in portrait or landscape.

6. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    With the print icon, have you trying scrolling left or right to see if it's no longer cut off?

7. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It does scroll left/right but like other parts of the 7 update there is no visual cues to inform you.

8. HardMetalAlchemy

HardMetalAlchemy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it's pretty much common sense to swipe left or right, considering you're using a touch screen

9. Gazzaho

Gazzaho
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, for past users yes, but for new users? If you look at the camera app there are three modes, video, picture and square, now if you've never used iPads and other such devices before how would you go about changing mode. My first instinct in that case would be to touch the text to switch, do this and nothing happens, you have to swipe up or down to switch mode, but as I said there are no visual cues highlighting this.

When IOS 7 was released there was a glut of questions on how to close an app running in the background, swiping the app window up wasn't intuitive as a lot of existing iPad users were confused by the change.

A few visual hints are required, as these types of question would seem to indicate. iPads are used by the general public, more and more less tech savvy people are now using them so I feel UI designers need to take this into consideration when designing their products.

#259 Gazzaho, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  10. HardMetalAlchemy

HardMetalAlchemy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I see where you're coming from, although that's where people's "imagination" should come in to play. That's why there's touch screens with so many possibilities to perform certain operations. People just need to figure some things out for themselves. It sounds harsh, but some people just lack initiative.