What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 question

tyrone3k16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am new to this forum, I was wondering is the IOS 6 update is that for all of apple's devices, because I own a Ipad but I purchased it when apple brought the first Ipad out then came ipad 2 etc so am i able to benefit from the IOS 6 update

thanks

tyrone :eek:

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Sorry, but iOS6 is not available for the original iPad. It is only available on the iPad2 & 3rd gen iPad.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is unconscionable that Apple left iPad 1 owners out of the upgrade. So much for loyalty to faithful customers—and early adopters! I can understand the iPhone decision, but not the original iPad. Price points are significantly different.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is unconscionable that Apple left iPad 1 owners out of the upgrade. So much for loyalty to faithful customers—and early adopters! I can understand the iPhone decision, but not the original iPad. Price points are significantly different.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

It had nothing to do with the loyalty of customers. IOS 6 simply would have been too much for the original iPad to handle given it only had 256mb of ram. If they had released it for the iPad 1 it would have none of the major features IOS 6 has to offer much like the iPhone 3GS receiving the update.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As above, IOS5 already puts a considerable strain on the iPad1. If you used any of the versions from 5.0 to 5.1 you will know how challenging it was.

IOS 5.1.1 was significantly tuned and optimised for the iPad1, making it by far the best 5.x version, and IMHO the only one worth running. This was obviously a deliberate effort from Apple as they knew it would be the final version for the device.

As stated by others, IOS6 would be a step too far for the hardware. Remember, it only has 256MB of RAM...

The iPad1 was able to support 3 major version of IOS. 3, 4, and 5. There are no competing tablets in the market which can match that.
If you were an early adopter than you have had very good value out of your initial investment IMHO! I know I have :D

DarioPhantom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish somehow the iPad 1 could be updated with the other iOS devices. But I know it wouldn't be able to handle it unfortunately. I was even hoping for a small 5.1.2 update even.

I think some of it is just the feeling of being left behind. But people with Apple products will inevitably know that feeling... (PowerPC owner here)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tyrone3k16 said:
Hello there,

I am new to this forum, I was wondering is the IOS 6 update is that for all of apple's devices, because I own a Ipad but I purchased it when apple brought the first Ipad out then came ipad 2 etc so am i able to benefit from the IOS 6 update

thanks

tyrone :eek:

At first I felt disappointed that my original iPad did not get this update. But my original iPad still has the original Map app. so I have the best of both.

Most reactions

Latest posts