What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Up dating iPad 2 from iOS 4.. to iOS 5

GCW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good afternoon from Central Iowa. I am new here and this is my first post so if I am in the wrong section, please direct me to the correct one. My problem is that I have an iPAD 2 and I never updated to iOS 5 and now 6 is out. I tried to update to 6 but I was told that I had to update to 5 first and I don't know how to do it. When I plug it into my computer, PC, it does backup and sync and then tell me that there is a new update available. The update is iOS 6 but I just want to go to iOS 5. Is there anyway I can do this??? I did try to update to iOS 6 but it was going to take 23 hours or longer and when I proceeded to allow the update, it would go for some time and then just stop. It did this several times before I gave up. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can go directly to 6. Not sure who told you that you had to go via 5, but it is actually not possible. You can only install the latest version of IOS at any given time, and that is 6.0 currently. You don't get a choice of which version to go to with Apple.

Since you seem to have a slow / unreliable internat connection (23 hours to download) the process will likely fail. I suggest you follow this method, but SKIP STEP 2 as it is irrelevant to your scenario - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Last edited:
OP
G

GCW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response to my problem and I will try your suggestion.

Most reactions

Latest posts