What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

internet connection sharing using usb modem from laptop to ipad

blackbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am searching how to share internet connection using usb modem from my laptop to my ipad 64gb, and found there is a ipad forum, then i join in.:):)

looking for helps, thank you.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now you cannot do this. You can get a wifi connection with your cell phone if it supports it. The only usb thing that you can connect with your ipad is a camera if you have the camera connection kit.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing that you connect your ipad with usb IS to your computer when connecting to itunes. That is how you would put music, movies on your ipad.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, Yes you can if you have Windows 7 internet connection sharing turned on.

Google it, it is pretty cool for Windows 7 users.

iPadPil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug your USB modem to a broadband router (check Cradlepoint). By doing this you create a hotspot. I have the ctr-350 and works perfect with my Verizon data plan. One more thing the router supports up to sixteen wifi devices, therefore you are on with your laptop ( I have two laptops, iPad and my wifi printer connected) and print from my iPad directly. I hope I answered your question.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He doesn't need to do anything other than let the USB modem work with the laptop.

As numblock said it is easy to just share the Internet connection from the USB modem to the WiFi connection on the laptop. This has been possible in Windows for ages... but easier now in Win 7 compared to Vista (XP was easier than Vista for this lol).

The laptop's ad hoc WiFi network would then supply Internet access to the iPad.

Michael

loerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is a good solution that share the Internet connection from the USB modem to the WiFi connection on the laptop.
Some steps need do:
Step 1:
Power your USB modem, and connect it to your computer. Make sure your internet connection is OK.
Step 2:
Use an ethernet cable to connect your computer and iPad.
Step 3:
Start ->Control Panel ->Network Connections .
Step 4: Right click â€USB modems Internet connection.†-> properties -> “Advanced†-> Select “Allow other users to Connect through this computers internet connectionâ€.
Step 5:
Maybe you will get a info that says you need to redial your internet connection. Do these:
“Network settings†->â€Settings†->â€Internet Connection Settings", and click X. Select the easy setting, and from there it should detect your IP Address, and clarify an internet connection from your pc to your iPad. Save these settings.

OP
blackbrother

blackbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now you cannot do this. You can get a wifi connection with your cell phone if it supports it. The only usb thing that you can connect with your ipad is a camera if you have the camera connection kit.

thank you, i heard there is a way to make an ad hoc connection with my laptop, and i did it. but when i tried to connect the ipad to laptop, there is no connection found. :)

OP
blackbrother

blackbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, Yes you can if you have Windows 7 internet connection sharing turned on.

Google it, it is pretty cool for Windows 7 users.

How about Xp ? i have make ad hoc connection in my lap, but my ipad can not get connected to this connection.

any idea to share the internet connection by usb modem with xp ? :confused:

OP
blackbrother

blackbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug your USB modem to a broadband router (check Cradlepoint). By doing this you create a hotspot. I have the ctr-350 and works perfect with my Verizon data plan. One more thing the router supports up to sixteen wifi devices, therefore you are on with your laptop ( I have two laptops, iPad and my wifi printer connected) and print from my iPad directly. I hope I answered your question.

i have only usb modem with, and my laptop os is xp. actually i have make an ad hoc connection, but when i try to get connect my ipad to laptop, it does not work.

thank you for your advises. :)

Most reactions