What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g wifi with usb modem

iToke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have an ipad 4 32gig wifi only and want to see if there is any way to connect to the web using a 3g router with a usb modem. I know Apple doesn't recognise exe files.....don't know why but any way.. The reason being... I'm locked into a plan with my wireless broadband modem and I work in the mines. The cabin I'm in is that well insulated, the only way I can get good coverage on my laptop is if I extend the lead and stick the dongle on the window. I just bought the ipad and would like to be able to connect it as well. I'm getting bad vibes the more I search about it but at least you guys might be able to put a definite yes or no to it. Please don't waste any time giving me alternatives, I just want to sus this one out..
Cheers

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have an ipad 4 32gig wifi only and want to see if there is any way to connect to the web using a 3g router with a usb modem. I know Apple doesn't recognise exe files.....don't know why but any way.. The reason being... I'm locked into a plan with my wireless broadband modem and I work in the mines. The cabin I'm in is that well insulated, the only way I can get good coverage on my laptop is if I extend the lead and stick the dongle on the window. I just bought the ipad and would like to be able to connect it as well. I'm getting bad vibes the more I search about it but at least you guys might be able to put a definite yes or no to it. Please don't waste any time giving me alternatives, I just want to sus this one out..
Cheers

What OS is on your laptop? Windows XP has Internet Connection Sharing. If your laptop has wifi and using the USB broadband modem you should be able to connect your iPad to the Internet through your laptop. I have never looked to see if ICS is used on Vista or 7.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iToke said:
Hey everyone,
Cheers

Are you saying you have a USB modem (hooked up to what?) that transmits over 3G for potential web access? If you are using a router that transmits 3G you cannot connect with a wifi only iPad. Depending on your SIMM and ypur router you may not be able even with a 3G/4G iPad. You may want to pick up a standard a, b, g, n wireless router to connect to your modem. These are usually fairly inexpensive and can be ordered over the net (but you don't have access).

Another option is if your phone can communicate with your router you may be able to set up wifi sharing (hotspot) on your phone and connect your iPad that way.

Edit: it looks like you may have a modem that receives 3G. If you have this you may be able to hook up a wireless router out to get the wifi you need for the iPad - or the modem may have wifi out built in which leads to the question - brand and type modem so we might have a better answer to get you on the net.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts